Sump design

Reaction score
Hi all,

just designed a sump and need you guys help to tell me if this is going to work and also some pointers.

1008487ef7d9bb0e0.gif

thanks a mil :thumbup:

Reaction score
And AC in the last or 2nd to last chamber before returning to the tank

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with Warr - basically swap the skimmer location with the AC. The filter wool you want to use will only work IF you are 100% sure that you will be replacing or cleaning this at least every week.... Otherwise the filter wool will start leaching nitrates into the water.

Reaction score
Agree with Warr - basically swap the skimmer location with the AC. The filter wool you want to use will only work IF you are 100% sure that you will be replacing or cleaning this at least every week.... Otherwise the filter wool will start leaching nitrates into the water.
Jacques, I use a stocking on my skimmer outlet pipe, it works wonders, but have to change it every 3 days

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I am only starting off in this hobby, but for my 2c worth after just having made my sump ....

In order to maximize the size of the DSB / macroalgea chamber i did away with chambers specifically for AC and or Cotton wool.... My intentions are to run these components as and when required either using the stocking as suggested by Warr or via a DIY external chamber (see DIY section on Phos / AC reactors).... not having them built into the sump should also make them easier to maintain ....

the size of your skimmer would influence the size of its chamber and proportionally may take up more room than shown in your drawing ....... this combined with the other pumps and chambers would reduce the size of your DSB significantly ... what are the dimensions of your sump and tank ?

just my thoughts

Reaction score
LOL! How many stockings do you cut up in a month?
I actually re-use them, I have about 10. Once changed gets soaked in Hot water overnight, then soaked in RO water till ready to go back in the tank.

The only thing that concerns me, is if the Sump/DSB is getting enough food for the critters as the entire tanks water go through this stocking.

PS: Also makes a great silencer

Reaction score
always wanted to ask. Why have the skimmer before the dsb. Surely if it is after the dsb it will allow more kak going to the dsb, allowing the critters etc, more food as well as letting them do their job properly. And what they cannot consume or change into good things, the skimmer will pick up. As for socks, buy the swimming pool filter socks, works well

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
It's the marine rules of filtration:

1st - Mechanical filtration
2nd - Biological filtration
3rd - Chemical filtration

Reaction score
shouldn't the coarse sand be on top of the finer sand to prevent the finer sand from blowing away?

Reaction score
shouldn't the coarse sand be on top of the finer sand to prevent the finer sand from blowing away?
Firstly - why do you want to use coarse sand in your DSB?
Many of your critters/worms do not like the coarse sand. I've noted a huge improvement by just using finer sand.
The area for bacteria grow is just so much more on the finer sand.
I'm using washed river sand - works extremely well for me, but i know that some guys here does not like this idea. But like i've said - it works very well for me.

Secondly - you don't want strong water flow in your DSB (or so i believe), yes you might have some "sand storms" initially, but after a while it will go a bit better.

1008487f0030b73a1.gif

so this is what it should look like ???

:thumbup:
Why not remove the all compartments - put your pump and ps on top of the sand bed. By doing this you have a larger dsb area (which is good). This once again is working very well for me.....;)

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
That is not as good as the idea he already has.