Sump design (with baffles) and advice please.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by AquaLene, 16 Feb 2013.

1. AquaLene

AquaLene

Hi everyone,

My sump is quite small as the tank is not too big (165L), and I need it to be able to fit it into the base stand below it.

Below is the plan I concocted:

[​IMG]

Could you pls advise on design and if the size is ok?

I read that baffles are good for air and noise, I am planning on using a 1700L p/h pump (is that ok for the size of the tank?)

Will that light suffice for the algae? How long must it be on for, only at night or all day?

What is the best filter media for the refuge? Live Sand or rock?

Sorry for all the questions :blush: #Newbie :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

The design is fine, except i would lose the second baffle if you want to use live sand for a deep sand bed which will assist with denitrification. Alternatively, look up Orca nitra guard biocubes and run some macroalgae lit on a reverse light cycle, i.e. at night. Choosing to run the lights above the algae for 24 hours is fine too.
    The only algae you really wanna use is chaetomorpha, stay away from caulerpa species.

4. AquaLene

AquaLene Thread Starter

Thanks so much for advice, really appreciated. Am starting "blind" here with marine, just want to get it right and not (or at least try not) lose any precious creatures or fish due to not enough research and knowledge.

How do I go about implementing this? Do both algae species just start randomly growing and must I visually ID the "unwanted caulerpa" and manually remove it, or is there some sort of way to avoid them growing initially?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

they wont really grow unless added, cheato is great and grows fast and removes alot of nutrients
    you can also look at some of the red varieties of algae

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

With some live rock in the sump, you should get somemicr algae and some macroalgae growing on its own accord, BUT what you really want is chaetomorpha. You'll have to introduce it yourself though, last time I was at Reef Aquatics, they had some available.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you want to use a DSB? If you do want to, then the design should loose the baffles. Just a wast of space is such a small area. And both dividers should be of the over the top design. First divider (between skimmer and DSB) should be between 5 and 10mm higher than the second (between DSB and return)

Live rock provides less surface area for bacteria than sand.

To have space for cheato, then you need at least 150mm water depth above the sand. More is better. If you beed to put the skimmer on a stand, so be it.

Other options are NP-Pellets or Orca Cubes. Although I do not use either. Cheapest option is DSB. Quickest is Orca Cubes. Your choice, but whatever your option in filtration, remember it must be the least amount of maintenance work 6 months later.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

then thats DSB or Orca Cubes both have 6 month windows
    but that doesnt mean a weekly inspection can be forgotten

9. AquaLene

AquaLene Thread Starter

Considering it, vs LR filter, would either be adequate filtration for some corals and a few fish?

If I use DSB, I have a bait license and can easily get some critters like mud prawns, hermit crabs (the furry brown ones) and nerita snails from the lagoon and beach here for mahala as a clean up crew. I'd assume the mud prawns would be ok (Upogebia Africana) and not damage any corals if they end up in main tank? I could use fine sand on the base and slightly coarser sand on top so they can burrow. And perhaps place a few pieces of live rock above, what are your thoughts on this idea? Would I even need algae then?

10. pkc

pkc

If you do not use something purchased for phosphorus, orthophosphates and toxin absorbing or a chemical reactor of a sorts, then algae is the only thing that will affectively remove-import unwanted substances. There are serious toxins that sponge in particular manufacture, corals produce, and nitrogen cycle oxidation produce, or by you.
    Nature has been taking care of this for us and sea creatures since life began and to this day, plant life does it better then anything else can achieve. In the ocean the main source of algae are the plants called phytoplankton. Those and similar used to take care of most of earth’s impurities, plus import 60 percent of all CO2 and equally make 60 percent of the earths oxygen and we try to copy their functions by using single celled algae variants called caulerpa.
    Sadly global warming is killing off much of the phytoplankton nearest to the equator and subsequently we have caused our selves a loss of 30 percent of earth’s oxygen and still falling. Then there is the reduction of CO2 importing which is raising the oceans acidity. Your aquariums caulerpa and all quality algae do not like high temps as well.
    Any way with the use of algae you can do some amazing things with water quality!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Leave the mud prawns.
    The hermits will be OK, I like the yellow tip hermits. That stay small.
    Nerita snails for the display is another good option. Just help them when you see one that fell off and is laying on its back.

12. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I would leave out the right-most baffle on the second set of dividers. Or at the very least make it wide enough not to suck down any bubbles. I have such an arrangement in my pump, and the last baffle serves no purpose but to draw down air bubbles which inevitably end up in the return pumps.

13. AquaLene

AquaLene Thread Starter

Thank you very much everyone for your advice and help. *Passes :peroni: to all*

Baffle on right is removed from plan, and I'll ask my supplier if he can get Chaeto.

14. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Have 3 compartments, that's fine. Just don't do the double pane on the last baffle.

Recent Posts