Sump Design Question

Reaction score
Hi MASA

I am adding a sump to my tank and would like to know what the benefits or reasons for adding baffles to the sump.

I plan to merge two tanks and am therefore adding a sump so that I can have a Reef only and FOWLR system in the other tank.

I currently have HOB Skimmer, phosphate reactor with BIO Pellets and an ecternal filter (which I would like to decommission).

I am adding a 90cm sump (3foot) and need to know if it necessary to have baffles in the sump as I will be using the HOB skimmer and will move all the other equipment to the sump.

I DO NOT have an ATO at the moment.

Your thoughts and suggestions please.

Thanks

First question, are you going DSB or not?

With DSB, on a 3 foot sump, you need all the space you can sacrifice for the DSB, that means the 5cm space the baffles would use, should rather go for extra space on the DSB.

The second divider should be 10mm lower that the first. Reason is if you one day have cheato above your sand, then small pieces that breaks off can not go back to skimmer compartment. Those small pieces do block the skimmer intake or pin wheel. Bad enough to be forced to clean the return pump.

The water should not drop that much into the return chamber either. Return chamber level should be as high as possible, so the water that drops down do not pull down bubbles that gets sucked in by the return pump. But low enough to handle excess water in case of a power outage.

Hi RiaanP

Thanks for the response. At this stage I do not plan on having a DSB.

Would I still need the baffles.

What is the main part of your filtration then?

And what corals do you want to keep?

i am using np bio bellets now and am going to use a phos remover in the canister filter here on

Just note that for NP pellets you most likely need a bigger skimmer than what you would use with a DSB.

And sump setup is different. You do not want to suck detritus into the NP reactor. So the intake should be in the last chamber. And the outlet be so that the skimmer intake suck it in. And you need methods to help to reduce the settlement being sucked into the reactor, like filter socks. And the Socks should be installed so that it is easy to remove, clean and replace. It does not block up. Etc. The sock will also help in removing bubbles coming down the overflow.

So back to your original question. With a NP pellet reactor you would have more space in the sump. Do you still want baffles, its up to you.

Hi P

What size skimmer do you have 2.5 times volume is good! Also have a look at one of my threads with regards to np pellets.

You will see running a phosphate reactor is a bad idea at this stage!

If you got any questions give me a shout! I have been running it with GREAT results!

With baffles you still require it so that your water stays at a certain level considerig you don't have an atu. Don't want the pumps run dry

I have my np pellet pump running in the same chamber as the skimmer 1st one and as long as you don't have sponge in your reactor, detritus goes right through. Anyways, that is how i use it. The filter sock is a good idea overall but beware of it clogging! Do not tie it to you overflow pipe. Have it go into a stand of some sort. Look at drop reef's threads!

With baffles you still require
Baffle or divider?
Baffle is narrow channel with water entering at one point from below, exiting the other side over the top.

@Jayceew - could you please elaborate on this "Also, I dont think running phos remover with NP pellets is recommended."

as I read somewhere (going to find the link just now) that you CAN run a phos remover "in front of" NP Pellets meaning that the outlet of the phos reactor is placed @ the input of the NP Bio Pellet Reactor. So In designing the sump, I can factor this in. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reading today for PO4 was 0.03. (Salifert Test kit)

I have also looked at an ATU system so I will also be including that in the sump design.

@williet I currently have Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-2000 rate @ 473 ltrs. The current tank that it is in right now is 260 ltrs. when I merge the other tank I can always add another skimmer or upgrade and I have made provisions for this in the sump design drawings.

Back
Top Bottom