Sump Design - Pls assist...

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Clownfish9906, 18 Mar 2012.

1. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hi guys and girls

I have read through many posts and tried to incorporate designs into my own sump.

The space is limited and hence the sump is small. Fortunately or unfortunatley, I am getting the Reef Octopus DNW150 Recirculating Skimmer which takes a large space. The skimmer is to be gravity fed from my overflow box via 20mm pipe with a durso standpipe (secondary durso standpipe to be installed as a safety mechanism incase of primary standpipe failure)

The skimmer will push water into a series of filters (chemipure, seachem, etc) which once filtered, return to the return pump chamber under a baffle.

I was going to build a small DSB/Refugium which would be fed from the return pump via a ball valve - allowing the flow rate to be adjusted accordingly. This water after running through the DSB/Refugium would return to the return pump chamber and be fed into the tank.

Should the DSB/Refugium not work out, I would be able to switch to a NP reactor to reduce nitrates.

Space is a concern. With the skimmer being 680mm high and the sump 400mm, there isnt much room. The cabinet/stand has only a 850mm space in which to work.

I have attached the drawing of the sump I intend to build...

I am sure I have missed something out - Please assist where you can...

Any assitance will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 18 Mar 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

Looks very cool but how will you clean those layers of filtration? Don't you think it's going to be annoying when you need to take all those layers out? Why not get rid of them and replace them with a filter sock - would be much easier.

Also, are you plumbing your gravity feed directly into your skimmer or are you placing a sock on the end? I'd put your filtration before your skmmer so that your skimmer doesn't have to overwork itself.

With maintenance the trick is to make it as quick and easy as possible so that you're not discouraged every time you have to clean your sump.

Your sketchup skills rock, btw! :thumbup:

B00tCamp likes this.
  4. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey Clownfish,
    Like the design... @erratiC is right...make sure it is simple to clean...I was thinking of re-using my filter box from my DT in my sump, the filtration media is easy to pull out that way and its all allready neatly housed...in your case, if not going with the filtration sock as suggested by Erratic, I would try to make a tray or something that just pulls out with all the filter media inside...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

Thanks Erratic - I was going to make a cannister out of some sort egg-crate, when I do find some...lol

If that does not work well, or rather I do not find some egg-crate, I will use perspex and make a filter box to fit the sump compartment. I will drill holes in the perspex box with slots in the side for packing in filter media...

Below is the design for the canister filter box...

Attached Files:

6. Clownfish9906

Please - would anyone be kind to assist...

7. erratiC

erratiC

Hey @Clownfish9906, your canister filter idea will definitely work - there's no doubt about that and provided that you can slide it in and out of that compartment easily then you've got a winner.

Just need to reiterate that you really should put that filter before your skimmer. And remember, always use the KISS method - keep it simple solution :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Clownfish9906

Cool Erratic...that makes sense so not to put additional pressure on the skimmer. But does this not deplete the filter media quicker having it before the skimmer?

My skimmer is going to be gravity fed - hence putting anything before the skimmer will require me to have a pump. Also, the skimmer that I will use - hopefully - is a RO dnw150 - rated for +650lt. So am sure the skimmer will handle my +-250lt of water...

Recent Posts