Sump design for reef tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wizard$, 28 Feb 2013.

1. Wizard$

Wizard$

Hi

I currently have a RSM130d and, marriage permitting, will be starting a 2m tank in the near future. I've started researching sump designs and have this in mind - I would appreciate any comments, and apologise in advance for the basic drawing.

Sump design.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

why not put incoming chamber and filter sock next to each other, instead of in series...

4. crispin

crispin

having a filter sock (or pad as such) like that means that the full flow of watre through the sump goes through the material, which is good but leads to increased maintenece, which i dont like. Personally i dont use filter socks, but if you realy want one then thats a good deseign i think.

check that the skimmer compartment will be big enough to house the skimmer of choice, obvilously this sketch isnt to scale but you will want easy access and room around that skimmer and a big enough skimmer to handle a 2m tank.

it maybe an idea to add a bubble box to the inlet of the over flow? again not something I find a need for but which some guys find improves the sump.

I would also sugest building in a largeish RO resivoir near the return chamber so that you can have an ATU.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And drop the baffles, waste of space. Well maybe the one at the return side can be kept.

6. crispin

crispin

def keep baffels on the return, so many skimmers and eactors create micro bubbles that are a real pain if they get to the return chamber, but agreed the rest could go.

7. Wes

Wes

[​IMG]

imo

8. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I'm of the opinion that an in-sump skimmer needs to stand in its own compartment receiving water from the overflow . This allows the skimmer's water level to remain consistent regardless of evaporation. Not sure if the fancier skimmers can compensate for this.

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

But make sure the baffles are spaced far enough apart. My baffles are too close, which pulls down bubbles. It's a royal pain in the ol' zero.

10. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Easy maintenance nad removal of filter socks

11. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Plan to have seperate RO resovoir

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:- the design is actually a copy of sorts from a US store - it seems filter socks are still quite popular there...

Also, if I wanted to keep live rock in sump, where could I keep, in overflow chamber or refugium? I want to keep a DSB in refugium.

12. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Thanks - how close is too close - 3cm?

13. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Mine are 5mm apart, about 40cm across. I have 4000lph return pumps (in total), that overpowers it. So it draws air down. 2cm would do for me. Then you can drop the third (rightmost) pane in the baffle.

The rightmost pane you've got there will sort out any bubbling issues, but it turns the baffle into a detritus trap.

You also only need a single pane on the first compartment. Sealed at the bottom.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
Recent Posts