Sump Design for 600 x 600 CUBE

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Eben, 27 Mar 2013.

1. Eben

Eben

Please let me know what you think of this sump design. This will be for a 600 x 600 cube.

sump.JPG

Last edited: 27 Mar 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NickW

NickW

550mm doesn't leave much space for equipment, not sure if you know what equipment you are going to run but maybe look at the footprints and design the sump around that.

Also, look at the footprint of the return pump you will be using, you dont want wasted space in the return chamber.

I have a 650x650 cube with a 550x550 sump, i will try pm you an image of the sump layout later on so you can get an idea.

Just by looking at the emasurements, you have 260mm water level, that seems quite high, check what the recommended water level is for your skimmer :)

4. NickW

NickW

Haha, sorry for being critical but after looking at the measurements again i see the following problems;

- The height of your sump is 300mm, and your water level is at 260mm. When your return pump switches off the water rushes back down into your sump, you only have 4 cm for all that water, i think this poses a large risk for your sump to overflow in the event of a power outage.

- Your tank is 600 x 600. and sump is 550x550. If you are using 25x25 square tubing to build the stand, you are going to have less than 0.1mm for the sump to fit in under your tank. Make the sump slightly smaller so you have some play getting it into position.

Maybe, 530 x 530 to allow +-2cm to get the sump in and take out if ever needed.

Those are just my thoughts, if im wrong guys please correct me :)

5. Eben

Eben Thread Starter

:thumbup: Thanks NickW. I would rather take criticism and correct things now, than having problems at a later stage :)

6. Eben

Eben Thread Starter

How about this?

Capture.JPG

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I had the same size cube! Great nano size.
    Never had a sump, just HOB equipment.

You should go for a simple design. Skimmer chamber and return chamber, maybe a small RO chamber.
    Leave enough space for electronics.

Are you going to run reactors?

8. Eben

Eben Thread Starter

That is the idea with this. 2 chambers and a bubble trap in the middle. Will use orca biocubes in the first chamber. Also need to know if dimensions are okay?

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Don't stress about bubble trap, just waist space on such a small sump!
    Orca cubes will be perfect! I run over 2kg's in my big tank and have not done a water change in 6months :blush:

10. Eben

Eben Thread Starter

So you say i wont have micro bubbles in my DT. Awesome!

11. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Never a guarantee, but I have never had issues with micro bubbles.
    I have never used a bubble trap.

@RiaanP ??

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the width of your sump. At 300mm your return chamber would only hold 7.6L water. that means that you only have about 3 maybe 4 L water as buffer for water evaporation before the return pump runs dry. 550mm wide sump and total volume increase to 14L. Increasing the buffer to 6 maybe 8L

Your tank, with water level at 550mm would be about 200L. On average you would loose 10% water due to evaporation per week, so that means per day about 2.8L So to be save for a weekend you need at least 6L buffer before return pump runs dry.

Even with an ATU in place, believe me, it will fail the first day you are not there. Been there, done that, Dad could hear something big is wrong, but could not figure it out.

If you got enough space above the skimmer, then raise the skimmer and make last chamber deeper, from 170mm to 220mm or more. 220mm and 550mm wide would increase return chamber volume by 4.1L

Or drop the baffles and make the return chamber wider.

13. Eben

Eben Thread Starter

Thanx Riaan. The with of my sump will be 300mm. I want to add a 200mm RO top reservoir.
    I think ill get rid of the baffles and then just make it a simple 2 chamber sump, and then maybe make the first chamber 300mm which leave about 230mm for the return chamber. I can then maybe leave the divider at 170mm high, which should give enough space in case of a power failure so that the sump does not overflow?

Recent Posts