Sump design advice

Discussion in 'New Members' started by King_Triton, 27 Sep 2012.

Voter count: 12
?

Should filter pads be used in sumps?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi guys...

I'm new to this forum, and need some advice as I will be starting with the setup of my Marine tank this weekend.

I have been keeping tropical tanks for as long as i can remember, and now I decided its time to get into something thats more challenging.

The display tank is a 4ft, and ill be using a 3ft for my sump.

I need help with the following:

1. The main tank has a built in overflow system, i want to use this instead of drilling my tank, so I was thinking of using the existing pump to pump water directly to my sump, and then another pump to pump water back to the main tank. Problem is, how do I prevent either my display tank or sump from flooding if one pump stops?? i have tested for a power outage (both pumps off) and that is fine, the water eventually stops overflowing into the built in overflow.

2. Is it a good idea to use filter pads, and some ceramic tubes in the sump? I've read conflicting articles regarding this.

3. Will a normal Jebo Flux UV light be fine to use over the fuge in the sump?

4. Is there anyway of getting around using R/O water for the initial setup? I am willing to let the tank cycle for a couple of months before adding fish, so time is not a problem. I will buy R/O water for the top ups.

5. Please look at the design i drew up for the sump and please advise if this should be fine.

[​IMG]

All help will be appreciated. Thanks :thumbup:

Please mind the sketch... it was a rough one while at work :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rhyn

Rhyn

You WILL have a flood if you use a pump to pump from DT to sump and from sump to DT. Please dont do this you will be sorry. If a small piece of anything (like gha) gets into one pump it will slow it down and one pump will be more afficient than the other and you will have a flood. It is easy to drill a tank and when you set up gravity does the rest. As for the rest let the guru take over from here. Good luck and wellkome to the best hobbie in the world!

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Dont use 2 pumps (one from tank to sump and one from sump to tank) it will never work is pretty much guaranteed to end in lots of water on the floor. They will never be in perfect sync. Drill the tank or get a hang on overflow box. On the sump, I would remove the first divider after the skimmer chamber. It serves very little if any purpose and just wastes 4cm of valuable space. I would rather use a filter sock on the overflow into the sump to catch detritus than filter pads. And you want to catch as much dirt as possible before it reaches the DSB/refugeium in the middle.

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Love polls! No keen on filter pads as they require cleaning often and will see a decrease in water level in your return chamber which could dry out and then mess up the pump, but if you are going to be vigilant, by all means go for it (guess which one I voted for? :p).

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

So you can remove the filter pad chamber and change the last divider from a under to an over the top . You can most likely make the return chamber a little smaller to about 20cm as well giving you more space for the other chambers.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Couldn't you also make the second compartment less complicated instead of doing over and under, rather just do an under from the first then an over to the third, removing one piece of glass?

8. Lobster

Lobster

Hi
    I also have the same setup as you.
    Make your 1st comp. 230mm (water flow under),that is big enough to accomodate a reeftek TS2 skimmer:whistling: .The 2nd comp. make that 30mm ( water flow over ). Make yor last 3de comp. 120mm big (water flow over),enough to take a nice size return pump The middle comp. keep that as big as you can for the deeb sandbed (the biger the better)
    I will only use the return pump from sump.
    RO water is the way to go.Normal house water is not as clean as we think:eek:.
    You might have a problem with phosphates at a later stage.
    i use a normal energy saving globe above my Cheato and it works for me.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No, as mentioned, you will flood, guaranteed.

No, UV is harmfull to human eyes. Must be shielded and enclosed. Use normal CFL globes.

No, where will heavy metals in the water go? They do not evaporate. They stay forever, causing some trouble down the line. Rather start right.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a simple 3 chamber sump

[​IMG]

ok, with all the equipment added, not so simple any more. But you should be able to get the idea.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Magnet cleaner in sump. You cleaned the glass of the sump just for the PIC..........;)

12. Dillan

Dillan

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Mmmmm, Ph a bit low? :p

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, my front pane is cleaned. I got so much going on in the sump that I regard it as part of the display. And on that setup I did not have a cabinet.

Yes, always struggled with PH. It swing from 7.7 to 8.1 easily within a day. But as long as everything is happy then no need to panic. The kalk reactor was empty as well. Can see it in the last chamber.

Strange part is that I'm still using the same salt. Just on a much bigger system. And same kalk reactor. My PH now is a lot more stable. Actually the kalk reactor been empty for the last 2 weeks. My PH drops to 8.0 sometimes. But it stays around 8.2 by itself now. Only difference is that the total system water volume increased from about 500-600L to about 1400-1500L.

15. King_Triton

King_Triton Thread Starter

Hey guys... :thanks: for all the replies!!

Guess the e-mail notifications dont work as they were supposed to.

Okay so can someone give me advice on how to drill my tank. ( I prefer DIY)

another question is what will catch dirt if i dont have filter pads. I see a lot of guys have the 3 column basic sump. What happens to the dirt that filter pads normally catch? :huh:

Okay so changes to my plans - The first baffle is removed. so water goes under one baffle and over the next into the second chamber.

Marius, I noted that you said that less dirt should pass through to the fuge, so if I have the filter pad chamber before the fuge will this help?

What about the use of ceramic tubes peepz?? your take on that?

Last edited: 28 Sep 2012
  16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Filter sock on the overflow from the tank?

Its easy drilled my tank in july 15min of work you will need a dimond tipped hole drill bit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Sep 2012
  17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Filter sock.
    But that is another thing to maintain. Same as filter pads. They block up.

The settlement should be removed by the critters living in and on the DSB. If correctly setup, then you will have no maintenance in sump area other than emptying the skimmer cup.

18. King_Triton

Cool... so do you need to start with a small bit and progress through the bigger ones, or do I just need the size for the hole thats required? Where can I buy these bits and any idea of price?

and tips on removing partitions that are siliconed? If i'm going to be drilling my tank, I would prefer removing the built in over flow section and make the most of the space in the tank.

19. King_Triton

That sound a lot more positive to me ...

What is the correct setup that you speak of Riaan?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You are in Midrand. Just take the tank to Idol Marine. Will cost you about 90 bucks. A lot cheaper than that drill bit. One hole, correct size from the beginning. While there, get the bulkhead. Will be more expensive, but then at least it is the correct size. 5 minute job

Need overflow box / chamber in your tank. If you can not use the current overflow, then ask them to cut glass to make a overflow box.

Either use a Stanley blade to cut out old partitions, or use a old metal tape measure. Actually the tape measure works easier and is thinner than the blades.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

see the picture higher up...:whistling:

anyway, return pump should be strong enough to have a water head on the last overflow of between 6 and 10mm. Below 6mm and the flow across DSB is not enough and you will end up with excess settlement. The water head is the height difference between the divider top and the actual water level.

On that, your overflow box should have the same overflow length or more than the sump width. Else the water head in the display is too high allowing smaller fish to flush over.

Recent Posts