Sump Corals???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 4 Mar 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi all

What corals could on keep in a sump?

I am thinking about target feeding & the new tank I am getting is not going to be easy to target feed!

could we keep a sun coral in the sump? what other corals?

Just an Idea!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A lot of guys keep corals in their sumps or a frag tank connected between the tank and the sump. As long as the light and flow requirements are according to the needs of the specific coral ;)

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

If I may ask what is the point of keeping the coral then, the only time I sump corals is when I run out of space and even then it is temporary. As for sun corals, I take mine and put it in a big tupperware bowl whilst keeping it constantly in the water. I then take this bowl and float it in my sump for an hour or two. I put as much food as I can in this tupperware bowl, then discard the water and add some new water to the tank when its done eating.

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Vatso, I have absolutely fell in love with tube anemone's. I will take a video tonight and post tomorrow, of how effective these babies cathes food.

I would recon, if one could, to have your first chamber also covered in playsand of about 8cm thick, then have a few tube anemone's in.

First thing, tube anemones aren't anemone's at all, not even close. Second, they are non photosynthetic, and requires many small feedings daily, and they do not move if happy.

These inverts does not let food escape their tentacles, and IMO makes excellent additions to any heavily fed tank. In my NPS tank I rely on them to catch all uneaten food, and they do with amazing accuracy. The reaction time when food touches them is lightning fast, unlike suns that miss a lot of food flowing past too fast.

Note however that they grow quite large (you must leave about 30cm diameter for their tentacles) Mine have doubled in size within two months, and mine span about 12cm now.

Hope this helps...

6. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I am thinking more with what Jaco is saying - corals that will work with ones sump? for cleaning & the like & why can't we make our sumps something to show off?

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yes, Vatso, I agree that it's maybe a waste to have a nice coral in your sump, and tube nemmies are nice, but it's the benefit they give that is so cool. I have seen them eat anything from flake food, fish poo and obviously mysis etc. Even saw them chow a moth that fell in the water and got sucked under by the current.

So the food they take in that will not lie and rot is a massive bonus, and I dont know of any other coral or invert that can do this, in a no light sump... ;)

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Nice idea with the Tube Anemones in the sump Jaco... I love my sump and always think of it as an attraction all on its own so I may get one or two of those for the DSB :)

A coral that would do well in a sump and have a dual purpose of being used as natural filtration is Pulsing Xenia. They are good for getting rid of nitrates and dont really need too much light from my experience. I have quite a bit in my sump and they are doing fine just on the one energy saver I have down there.

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Please post a pic for us Kunhardt

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Of xenia or my sump?

Check out my thread there are some sump pics there. Not sure if you can see the actual Xenia in the pics though.

11. keyaam

keyaam

Im doing the same mark. I also have some mushies in the sump

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

lol me too and some green zoas. They are on Large pieces of liverock that wont fit in the DT and so they just sitting in the sump. Doing fine actually under the current lighting.

mnd123 likes this.
  13. mnd123

mnd123

Great idea Mark, I dont want xenia to take over my DT, I got some from Tony that has quadrupled in size in a month, and found a few floaters already

Xenia.... consider your asses sumped

14. FransSny

FransSny

Kunhardt, very cool idea. I have actually seen a pic of a aptasia farm in a sump to assist with nutrient export. The guy had some system to kill the spores before they go to DT. Xenia is obviously a safer bet ;)

For the guys living at the coast local rock nennies will also work as they require very little light, excellent feeders etc

Recent Posts