Sump confirmation

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Tremayn, 26 Jan 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Just wanted to know if my sump is ok.. Ziyaad hope you see this, I marked the tank with tape according to the measurements we went over and got the glass panels today..
    The short pieces from the bottom is 23cm and the piece from the top its 30cm. Thats the bubble trap. 1st chamber is the skimmer, 2nd is return and 3rd is the refugium.. To me the second part of the bubble trap seems a bit short or is this ok? I dont want to buy more glass if I dont need it :)
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I was thinking maybe I can move the 30cm piece lower, as I doubt the water level would rise all the way to the top of the tank :whistling: ... Maybe just lower it by 5cm? I glued the 1st baffle on the left already.. Then I though Ill just double check

4. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

anyone can comment by the way :whistling:

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ha ha ... looking good there bud .... I wouldn't take the chance of water going all the way up... always leave room for error in this hobby! Just a quick question ... is there going to be no DSB in this sump? And how are the pods going to get from the fuge into the tank?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: 26 Jan 2011
  6. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

I'd rather go this way,

[​IMG]

Hope it's clear enough;)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope, how will your auto top up work?

currently all the chambers from entry, around skimmer and return will have the same water level. And that level needs to drop to activate the ATU. So your ATU needs to be extremely sensitive.

A smaller return chamber where ATU can quicker realize that the water level is dropping, and allow for smaller amounts of RO to be added on each run. So more frequent times the ATU will kick in, and it will run for shorter periods.

The third panel from the left, make it higher. High enough not to drown the skimmer.

Also why have a bubble trap between skimmer and return, if your water just fall down some distance from your refugium? that will even cause more bubbles, and noise.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2011
  8. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

So should I make the return chamber smaller? I just positioned the return pump sideways so that the chamber would be bigger..

The 23cm panels are about the same level of the bubble plate. When ziyaadb was here he measured it and said that the panel has to be about that height as the skimmer is tall and there is just about 10cm above the skimmer to lift it...

On the glass for the refugium I will add other pieces of glass which will channel the water, so to speak so it should be quiet. Hard to explain lol but I saw it around..

The water will overflow from the refugium and into the return.. So pods will go up the return line.. Got this layout from a site.. This is it
    [​IMG]

9. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Lol ok I didnt look at this pic for a while.. The 2nd panel is not all the way to the top :) .. Thats what I wanted to know lol

10. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

@ Mauritius-aquarist , the problem is that the skimmer takes most of the sump so if I had to make a DSB it would be very small, however I am going to put a 15cm thick layer of substrate in the refudge :whistling: .. but I will see when the time comes... Just stressing over the sump and plumbing.. Oh yes I should just ask one time..

I have one ball valve from the over flow to make it quieter which goes to a T piece. The left side going to the inlet and the right which has another ball valve on the line going to the refugium.. I want to split the water flow so that 75% will go to the skimmer.. Question is do I need another ball valve on the line going to the skimmer or am I fine?

11. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

just a pic of the plumbing idea.. Still has to be cut to size and stuff
    [​IMG]

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

No need for another ball valve as whatever you do to the flow going to the fuge will directly affect the flow going to the skimmer.... i.e if 50% goes to fuge then 50% will go to skimmer .... 25% to fuge then 75% to skimmer .... If I were you though run the main balve at full throttle ..... By the time the water splits there shouldn't be much noise ... Also remember to keep the inlets as close to the water level as possible to avoid water splashing all over and salt creep!
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Thanks Chikaboo :) ... So on the whole, what do you think of the set up? The sump (I will make the 2nd baffles lower) and the plumbing idea.. Oh and about making the return smaller? I can do that because the return pump has this big sponge filter on it so when I take that out the pump is like half the size

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi, i will comment today, just need to read and thnk about it

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How is the sump and refuge interconnected.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

the refuge overflows into the return chamber just like the pic on top :) .. I just lowered the second part of the bubble trap and the sump is complete.. I Just left it to set nicely :) .. lol i put the silicone nice n thick :p

Recent Posts