Sump config

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by TheGrove, 21 May 2013.

1. TheGrove

TheGrove

Hi Guys,

Ordered the tank today and should be ready by next week, stand should be done by then as well.

I am going to start buying all the kit but need to make some decisions around the Sump. One thing I did not consider when building the stand is actually sliding the sump in so I am limited to a set dimension for the sump,

[​IMG]

This is the largest I can go, do you think that the space utilisation is optimal or should I rather look at an external skimmer, leave the return pump inside the sump and use the rest of the space for a DSB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the two pipes at the left, can be in front and behind the skimmer, no need to have it as another section.
    I would rather use an internal return pump, one less place that can leak, and bumping the pump could lead to you breaking that panel. Although external you have less heat transfer into the water. But with today's LED units that is not so much of an issue anymore, actually you need the extra heat in the winter.

Anyway, that sump is too small for a DSB, no matter what. So check out NP-pellets or Orca cubes as an alternative.

If you want to keep macro algae, then keep in mind that you do not want to have light shining into the skimmer. LED spotlight would be better

Get your skimmer before fitting the dividers, so that you can make sure that it can be removed for maintenance when needed.

The space where you got the return pump in your design, rather extend your sump and put in RO chamber in there. After putting your lights on simple timers, an ATU is the next thing that you need to automate.

Last edited: 21 May 2013
  4. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Hi Riaan, thanks for the reply. I have installed a cupboard on the right side of the cabinet allowing me to slide the sump in from the side, as a result I have extended the sump to 1.2m

5. Chris Delport

Chris Delport

Have your stand checked out before manufacturing,it sounds like it is very low and you must have space to fit and remove your skimmer.

6. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Stand is already built, check my thread. 85cm internal height so more than enough.

The issue was the center support beam not leaving enough room for the sump to slide through the front cupboards so installed a cupboard on the right side. So problem sorted :yeahdude:

Recent Posts