Sump Changes

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by RiaanP, 17 Dec 2008.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Some help please.
    Here is my sump at the moment.

[​IMG]

And more from the top
    [​IMG]

OK before everybody comments that the ceramic rings and bio-balls must go... they are on their way.

The balls was out, but I put them back to mature, then I can start to remove the ceramic rings bit by bit, week by week.

Yeah the skimmer in last chamber... That is where it has to be to have the biggest possible DSB.

I want to change the second chamber to be part of the DSB, but I do not want to cut the glass panes out. The two on the left. Last one will be to short for the DSB anyway. I need to block the part under the second chamber off with something WHILE the tank is in operation. So a piece of glass with silicone is out of the question.

Any suggestions.:whistling:

My intake is working, no sand storms. So I do not need another inlet chamber. Some space saved. It got 10mm holes to the top and bottom. First chamber DSB is less than 1 month old, still maturing that is why the piece of rock is there.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Why do you say that the last glass (before the skimmer) would be too low for the DSB, Riaan? I would definitely remove the glass (you can use a carpet knife to cut it out) making the 1st partition as well as the 2nd glass where the "noodles" partition ends.... this will then give you one HUGE DSB partition.......

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

I would have liked the last glass to be as high as the first. Extra depth in the DSB area.
    Also having 2 DSB partitions, will give me more future options for jailing inmates.:)

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

I dont see any reason why you could not leave the glass in and just have a "second" DSB in that chamber. Although like Jacques mentioned, a carpet knife, a little effort, some swearing and a plaster or two later it should be out.

6. RiaanP

Yes, my hand can not fit into the baffle. My son that is 10 can, but I seriously doubt if it is a good idea to hand him the carpet knife. Well maybe, when the wife is not looking...
    That is why I wonder if I can not just block the flow underneath the middle glass.

7. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

On second though, if the first DSB is already mature, rather just add a second one, you dont want to disturb the lower layers while you have livestock in the tank.
    :whistling: Hey he's a boy, a few deep gashes to the hand never hurt anyone (not that much at least):p

8. RiaanP

My babelynion whelk snail keep on climbing over the glass tops and ends up into the next chamber. Any suggestions. I do not want to use silicone in a running system.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Investigate: Egg crating, for you welk....... Add it to the the baffle.......

Recent Posts