Sump - Bio or Mechanical

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dean Schreuder, 11 Jan 2012.

1. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder

Good day all

I currently have a 2 ft sump split into 4 compartments, water enters gets skimmed passes over and through a 5cm layer of sand (wanted this as a dsb- i now know that it must not be oxygen rich) then flows under and rises through Bio pellets, purigen, chemipure and then flows over into ceramic rings..

Im thinking of taking out the middle plane of glass and making a proper DSB with sand collected deep in the sea, then using that last compartment for purigen chemipure etc..

My tank is 11days old now so rather get it right 1st time.. Another thing will i be able to cardon dose(vodka) if i have a DSB?

:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A DSB in a 2 ft sump is hardly worth its keep due to its small footprint The space can be much better utilised with a proper reactor for the purigen etc.

4. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

There is way too many compartments for a small sump like yours. Keep it simple.

Water running through sand, ceramic rings, bioballs..., these are all filtration methods not recommended for marine. Your sump is to small for a DSB so you might want to look into an alternative de-nitration filtration method.

Vodka dosing is a solution, but this requires plenty of research as you could cause huge problems if you don't know what you are doing.

I suggest you go and research as many de-nitration menthods possible and select an option to best suit your tank requirements and budget.

From a sump's perspective rather cut out some panels and make space for refugium (Phosphate control), or live rock to assist with breaking down ammonia, Nitrite to Nitrate.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Wow 4 compartments in a 2 foot tank? Got a picture?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how big is your display?

7. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder Thread Starter

I'm not at home at the moment so will post pics later, the 1st compartment is large enough for a TS1 skimmer then second I could fit my fist in 3rd is around 15cm in length and the last is the return section that's split it half but more water area the side of the pump. My DT is 3ft, 120l and sump total of about 50l. I'm thinking of removing the plane of glass that seperates section 2 and 3 then installing a DSB with live rock ontop of the sand elevated by egg crate. Then also planning on adding some macro aglae.. :thumbup:

Recent Posts