Sump Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Carter-PE, 15 Dec 2012.

1. Carter-PE

Carter-PE

To all the sump experts

I would like some advice on where to put stuff like phos remover, ammonia stones, purigen, carbon etc

I am currently running a small tank with a built-in sump in the 3 rear. It is divided into 3 chambers. So the DT overflows into chamber 1 where I have the skimmer situated. I currently have a filter pad on the overflow. I have a 40mm gap between chambers 1 and 2. The water flows down chamber 1 and then up through the gap and over into chamber 2. In chamber 2 I have a DSB about 180mm deep with about 180mm of water above it and a couple small pieces of LR. This flows over into chamber 3. In chamber 3 is the return pump. I have also made a DIY media reactor which is currently running carbon and the reactor pump is in chamber 3.

I also have 2 small airstones, 1 in chamber 3 and the other is in the gap between chambers 1 & 2.

In the gap between chambers 1 & 2 I have the following: SeaChem purigen, Aquaria-SA ammonia stones, and Brightwell ExtraxPhos.

What I would like to know is, should I leave the chemical filtration in that gap or move the bags to the return chamber? Also, where would be the best place to put a filter pad?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Best place for filter pad would be before the reactors. Would help to prevent them blocking up.

And normally the chemical filtration is last, just before the return pump.

Carter-PE likes this.
  4. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Thanks

Recent Posts