Sulphur smell from Red Sea NO3 Pro Test

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I decided to test my phosphates and Nitrates tonight to see how I need to amend my Nopox dosing regiment - the last test was about 2 weeks ago.

With my 1st test for Nitrates, I got a really strong sulphuric smell. I discarded this test and performed a second test with the same results - the smell was not as intense.

I am only aware that a sulphuric smell is bad and I am not sure why my test sample smells of it. Any ideas?

Changes to my regular weekly maintenance schedule (performed on Saturday):
- added new carbon (replace every 4 weeks)
- secured some of my rocks with an epoxy (Two little fishies)
- scrubbed a rock with algae on it. There was also a lot of blue clove polyps on the rock and all of the polyps were destroyed. As I am not sure what to expect due to the cleaning of the rock, I dose 1/4 of a cap of prime 2 times per day. Will dose this for a week - just to satisfy my paranoia

Could the epoxy or prime have reacted with the test? Could the scrubbing of the rock increased the dissolved organics in the water and caused the reaction with the test?

I did perform a 15% water change tonight just to be safe - 20 litres on stanby

All inhabitants seems ok and are acting normal.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
was the smell still there this morning?

Was it the test results that smelled? Or the tank?

Hi RiaanP,

I three out the test sample last night.

The smell come from the test I did. There is no smell from the tank.

Thanks for your help.

I know some of those reagent are an acid in itself
For example the tropic marine reagent a is acetic acid only 24%
Might be that you only smelled the chemical reaction?
What was the test results?

Last edited:
Don't it state on the prime bottle that a sulfur smell is normal?
Might be wrong on that one:confused1:
The following link is quite interesting on the use of test kits after using prime
Seachem. Prime FAQ

Last edited:
Hi Nella,

Thanks for the feedback.

I didnt use the results of the test due to the smell. It was around 0.25 ppm if I remember the colour correctly.

I have never had such a strong sulphuric smell from that test before. In fact I don't remember a sulphuric smell at all.

I am just worried that it might be an indication of a potential problem :banghead:

I doubt it.....my money is on a combination of the test and prime giving you a rotten egg smell.
But always beter to be safe than sorry :thumbup:.

Thanks Nella.

Unfortunately it's been a long time since I had to balance chemical equations. Most things were possible.....except making gold...

Just stopped at my place to do a quick visual and sniff test on the tank. Everything seems fine. Gave the anemone some mysis shrimp and it devoured it - hand to fend off the usual pigs. I assume it is a good sign

Thabks for the support.

Last edited:
hydrogen sulfide can be present in you're substrate and if disturb will also give you that smell.....that's deadly to all live in your aquarium and should be removed with carbon and a lot of water changes ASAP.
But since the smell only comes from youre tests and none from the aquarium water itself I would say you are good.
Just closely monitor all you're inmates.

Feel like a complete idiot......I looked at the containers and 2 of the 3 reagents contain some type of sulphur based acid.

My girlfriend had chemistry as part of her studies and she explained some of the things to me. She said that it was more likely that the vails or other equipment were contaminated and reacted with the acid......

Thanks for entertaining my questions......next time I will be sure to check the content of something before slightly freaking out.

Lol.....don't worry. ..you're definitely not the first or the last reefer that fooled himself:lol:
I've done it alot:whistling:
I have ones pulled my whole tank apart to treat a ''white spot'' sick fish.. turned out it was only some substrate stuck to it:oops:

Back
Top Bottom