Sulphur Denitrator

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Munky82, 5 May 2011.

1. Munky82

Munky82

Hi people.

I'm doing some research on sulphur reactors. (ok, I'l lying. I'm considering getting one)
    I am yet to see a sulphur reactor for sale from a supplier.
    Are they sold as complete units or just the loose components ?
    Are they basically reactor chamber with sulphur media, another with aragonite and a pump ?
    Any salties actually using one ?
    Input? :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Probiotics, carbon dosing and good skimming are just as effective in reducing nitrates even without a sand bed. I personally find them pointless

4. Munky82

Munky82 Thread Starter

From what i understand it will in addition of reducing nitrates and calcium and help with kh. (when using a second reactor with aragonite to raise the ph back to norms).
    That'll beat dosing by hand , since I don't have a calcium reactor.

5. lIghty

lIghty

Just installed one, but bit to early to tell if its working, but from what I've read they can be effective if setup correctly.

6. Achilles

Achilles

I use one for my 5000 litre they are easier to use than the normal denitrators as they dont need to be fed but they do require some maintenance and often adjustment- as they mature they clog rapidly reducing flow and therefore flow needs to be monitored regularly.

Yearly you will have to clean them out and rinse the sulphur and add a new quantity of fresh sulphur- mix some bioballs in with the beads so that there are areas to allow flow and prevent beads from clogging faster - they take 1-3 months to mature properly.

The water exiting them is acidic at least 5-6 ph and is wise to flow them over crushed coral before going back to the aquarium but i dont think it will supply enough for all kh needs, due to the slow flow - mine is at its max 30 litres an hour when fully mature! before this it is like 1-5 litres an hour while maturing and on a smaller reactor you are probably looking at 1 drop every 2-3 seconds.

Measure the outflow and you will see it will have high nitrite until it matures then nitrite and nitrate will be 0 when matured it goes in reverse so it takes nitrate into nitrite and then nitrogen gas

7. Munky82

Munky82 Thread Starter

Great thanks for the input. In your experience, do they provide and significant calcium at all ?

8. lIghty

lIghty

is the pH this low even after going through the second RX with araganite?

1- Where would the NO2 come from while it matures?
    2- confused about the statement? Once mature the NO3 = 0, why would it work in reverse?

Last edited: 5 May 2011
  9. lIghty

lIghty

bump

10. Theo

Theo

Why dont you look at an NP-pellet reactor. removes both nitrates and phosphor... Just a thought....

11. Theo

Theo

Theres a tread that has some intresting reading of the nitrogen cycle. Hope it gives you more understanding.

12. Achilles

Achilles

after passing thorugh aragonite ph is usually around 7.5 but also this depends how much aragonite it passes through and also it is better to have aragonite in seperate chamber as the sulphur bacteria work better at the low ph

This is why it works in reverse nitrate from your tank flows through the reactor, the bacteria eat the sulphur but in the process they use oxygen - the enviroment is low in oxygen so... they take oxygen from the nitrate molecule making it NO2 from No3 they then further remove more 0xygen until only nitrogen gas is left. If the flow is too slow you will get hydrogen sulphide and if it is too fast you will not have an oxygen poor environment so they wont break down the nitrate , you need to get the flow just right - in the process of it maturing you will register high nitrite levels and then suddenly 0 nitrite and diminishing nitrate until both will be 0. The process is more complex than i described and i may have oversimplified it .

13. lIghty

lIghty

Thanks Bud!

Recent Posts