Sulphur and Hydrocarbonate Reactor

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by amalick, 3 Nov 2009.

1. amalick

amalick

I have an Aquamedic Sulphur Reactor (SR 400) connected to a Hydrocarbonate reactor via its output to neutralize the the sulphuric acid risk.

Its been running for almost a year now. In theory within the Sulphur reactor special bacteria reduce nitrate by oxidizing Sulphur in an oxygen free environment. Since its installation I have managed to contain nitrate to very low levels.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a pungent "rotten eggs" smell coming from the affluent of this setup.

Is this the dreaded sulphuric acid which for some reason the Hydrocarbonate reactor is no longer neutralizing or is the normal for a "mature reactor" for example ?

I've switched off the flow of water through the reactors pending a reasonable answer which I cant seem to find via the normal google search methods.

Lastly if this is going "pear shaped" should I replace both the Sulphur beads and the hydrocarbonate ?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

What in the other reactor? It should be aragonite. MAybe try and filter the effluent over some carbon. What is the flow like through the reactor and how much fast is the effluent coming out?

4. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

- The other reactor does have aregonite in it.
    - I am running carbon
    - The flow through the reactors are 1 drop per second or viewed another way the aquamedic recomended 3 litres per hour.

I'm trying to establish
    1) how you know when the aregonite has exhausted its neutralization capaibilities ?
    2) how you know when the sulphur beads are exhausted ?
    3) If the "rottent egg smelling" affluent is harmfull ?
    4) Perhaps, how one would test for sulphur dioxide ?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

6. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Thanks dallsg, read the entire article (beleieve it or not)- I now have a PHD in chemistry:p. I concluded that I probably have too low a flow rate via the reactors such that nitrate is being eliminated and sulfate reduction takes over. I will increase the flow slighly and monitor. H2S gas is harmfull but that varies per organism so toooo much to explain or consider..

A bit off topic but the article highlited something else that concerned me

"Do not store tank water or natural seawater without stirring and aeration for more than a few hours."

I kind off collect about 3 water changes worth of NSW from 2Ocean aquarium in C.Town every six weeks or so, since its such a pain to collect every week. I therefore store some of the water for up to a month before I use it. Ive done this for many many years and now the article has got me thinking.. Are there other reefers following a similar practice and have they noticed negative side effects etc..

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi all ... I have these as well and need a little help hooking them up .... What comes first in the connection .... meaning what would the order be .... A small maybe 300l/hr pump connected to the (top/bottom????) sulphur reactor then out of this chamber to the hydrocarbonate (top/bottom?????) or am I going about this the wrong way ??????

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK I know this was posted in the wee hours of the morning but by now looks like its a stupid idea to use these reactors or not too many people here using it to offer me the correct order of connection..... mmmm .... I wonder which is it?

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Last edited: 29 Jul 2010
  10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thanx dean ... I suppose I'll be pushing my luck to ask what to do with the other reactor with the aragonite (I think) is in ... mind you .... cheeky bugger Scuba cant find the manuals thats why I'm in a pickle now .....

11. viper357

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Shot ... Thanx ..... When you in SA again we get together and dump Stu in the deep end of Vetchies ... gang up up on the ninja.......

13. viper357

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You can count me in on anything that involves inflicting pain and suffering to the ninja. ;)

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK almost done .... the problem is getting the flow right through the reactors as there's just a tee-off from the return pump .... so is there a formula I can use to guage the flow through the reactor..... how long it takes to fill 5 litres then multiply by 200? It says recommended flow not more than 1000 Ltres/hour....... The thing is at this slow rate there's definately no tumbling of beads anywhere.....

15. zayd

zayd

There should not be any tumpling of beads - as far as i know. I have mine running 1 drip per second for 4 yrs now.

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok cool ... thanx Zayd .... In that 4 years have you replaced the media and how does one know when to replace it?

17. zayd

zayd

Apologies for only replying now. I have replaced it about 6mnths ago, but after doing a bit of reading, I understand that it only needs replacing once the balls start disintegrating and mine was not. Bad LFS advise.

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

So can I take like a koki pen and mark a level on the canister .... then monitor it ... if the level drops of the beads rapidly then it means its disentigrating or must it disentigrate in any case just slowly as its working ... Sorry for all the questions .... but didn't get it new so a bit hard to really know whats going on with it .... Should one wait untill all the beads are totally dissolved or maybe a good idea like quarter left in the canister then replace it all or just keep topping up untill full.....

Recent Posts