Suggestions for 5 foot Refugium

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've finally torn down my five foot to make a refugium as originally planned diagram of the plumbing at end.

I have several ideas on how to design this and would appreciate any feedback.

I have enough coral sand to cover the entire floor but only about 3cm deep would I be better off sectioning off an area and filling that to 12cm instead or will a shallow bed do the trick. I am linking this to a 3 year old setup which is going very well and dont want this to have a negative effect.

The reason for adding such a large fuge is I have about 40 wrasse in the tank which deplete "EVERYTHING"...

growing.gif

Hi Homegrown welcome to MASA.

I don't see any problems with your fuge add on.
As far as subtrate covering goes it depends on what you want it for.
To purely create an enviroment for pods to profilerate then a 3 cm covering of the whole base is perfect. If you wanting it to act as a DSB then partioning off a section would be the way to go.
Looking at your setup as it is now, you already have 2 DSB's so I would go with a shallow covering. A couple of pieces of live rock will add to the bio diversity and provide a home for pods and other noonoo's ;)

Last edited:
ps You from the KZN South Coast, that avatar looks familiar :)

Thanks

ps You from the KZN South Coast, that avatar looks familiar :)

Howsit Anthony, yeah new site new login

Thanks just what I wanted to hear just worried that doing it that way I end up setting up another display tank lol...

Any suggestions on washing out the old coral sand I've got it in a wide drum and have been rinsing it for a week now (water bill gonna hit the roof) and there is still tons on detritus settling after syphoning rinsing washing .......

:79:

lol, howzit Marc !!

Mmm that sand been rinsing for a week now, should be clean enough ? There's no easy way unfortuneatly, rinse and stir, rinse and stir..

Dam buddy 40 wrasses Phwww you must like them:)LOL

Settle in

lol, howzit Marc !!

Mmm that sand been rinsing for a week now, should be clean enough ? There's no easy way unfortuneatly, rinse and stir, rinse and stir..

K one more....

All the pipeworks done sand's "rinsed" just need sea water,

now should I connect this straight away or let it run for 3 months and let the sand bed settle.
Current system is 2000liters this will add another 550.

Other option would be to fill with sea water connect it to main system then slowly add the sand once it has dried, I just don't want to get a major spike in the system.

:arghhhh:

Marc the safest would be to fill it, do a phos and nitrate check and if it's all clear then connect to the main system. It will populate quicker being connected to the main system and the extra 20% water volume to the system can only be good for it.
I doubt you would have any problems though, you've rinsed all the substrate off already.

BTW your Wrasse collection rocks !!

Haha They such irritating fish they fish eat and eat and um eat!!!!

Damn, here's a voice from the past was begenning to think you didn't like us, welcome.

Sheez

Shheeesss about bloody time you signed up.;)

Ooi Milli, I'm on nightshift this whole damn week including the weekend that's why I've found some time to post LOL..... Although I'll skip sleep on Friday and Saturday to be up early to go dive.........

Cheers

Damn, here's a voice from the past was begenning to think you didn't like us, welcome.

Thanks Allan,

I finally let the rockcod free they were growing way too fast and you guys didn't enjoy the idea of the last one we braaied enjoyed eating it though.

Social

Ooi Marc... Welcome...Whens the next social

Thanks Sunburst,

Was thinking of having a social this weekend we all bring drums and fill them and take them back to my place to fill up my refugium.:lol:

The charcoal and a couple of Cod..

Back
Top Bottom