suggested mods to TL550?

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by LouiseS, 29 Apr 2012.

1. LouiseS

LouiseS

Okay after much indecision and anxiety I finally settled on the TL550 and bought it today:thumbup::thumb up:

I have decided to try go as natural as possible and spent the afternoon carting buckets of water to my car from Kommetjie beach (high tide & clean and clear (I HOPE!!) and most of this evening mopping salt water out of the wheel hub :blush:

After rinsing the entire setup out (tank not car) I emptied the saltwater into the tank only to discover that I did not collect enough!! So right now I have a nearly full tank which I cannot turn on - really disappointing!

Couple of questions to all those in the know:
    - can I just collect nice clean, course sand from the low water mark and use this as a decent substrate? (trying to go natural)?
    - Can I simply remove all the bioballs and other filtration material and add live rock into the chamber? could I add sand too?
    - Should I add a powerhead?
    - I will change the lights to LEDs as soon as budget permits but will start with low light corals and get comfortable first...

Am planning on taking the cycle really slow and final product will hopeful look something like Arries and Mc at the end :thumbup:

Feel like an absolute noob!! (have been reading for months though!!)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pmalan1000

pmalan1000

TL550 is a very nice tank to start with... got one myself about 7 weeks ago and everything is doing well.

I also removed all the filtration media it came with and replaced it with layers of live rock, phosguard and purigen... seems to be doing ok with that.

I also added LED strips to the current lighting, which did make a difference to the naked eye. Will have to wait and see if the corals are happy with it though.

Enjoy, and remember.... we all need to see pics.

4. LouiseS

LouiseS Thread Starter

@Pmalan - will be wanting your photos with great interest :) Can't understand the bio balls the tank comes with :p Will post pics as soon as it has enough water in it! Good luck with your tank...

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

LouiseS you sound like you have passion for your tank already! Natural for a tropical marine tank would be aragonite as it is coral sand from same area as the livestock. there is however nothing wrong with the sand you are talking about. i would just sift it and give it a good rinse to get rid of dust particles.

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Posting from cell..hope it goes thru... If you end up going with Aragonite...just make sure you get the "fine" Aragonite..the bigger pieces limits your Fish selection..like Gobies..I would have loved to have had a Sand Shifting Goby, but thanks to my lack of knowledge I didn't know better and bought what the LFS sold me..

LouiseS likes this.
  7. LouiseS

LouiseS Thread Starter

Well due to the dreadful weather today I still do not have a full tank of water or any substrate but did buy filter floss, a hydrometer and red sea reef test kit today (the combined Ca, KH, MG one) as well as a SunSun powerhead so do feel I did get something done today :) Tossed the bio-balls but still need to deal with the filter adds. Thanks for all tho input guys.

Thank goodness I decided to take this slowly....

Last edited: 30 Apr 2012
  8. mandarinman

mandarinman

It is a bit addictive setting up a tank

9. stevengrant

stevengrant

Hi, changed my sump into a sort of DSB.

[​IMG]

I also added an extra PC Light (same as the original two) between the original two and all my Corals are doing excellently.

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  10. mandarinman

mandarinman

Really good idea to bag dsb as it will prevent detris from entering it! The guys who go dsb way will love this!

11. Mc

Mc

Hi LouiseS nice to see you getting started.
    I have no clue about collecting sand and water as I don't live at the coast, but I know argonite is really good sand.

I also recommend removing the bio balls, there job is to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate, and in the long run ammonia is normally not a concern, specially if you have a lot of live rock.
    I prefer putting more live rock in the display and not really in the back. I think the problem with live rock in the back is the flow is not that strong in the back and it tends to build up detrius, specially if theres a lot of it, so you have to rinse it regularly. It serves the same purpose in the tank and also looks good.

As for chemical filtration there are quite a few options but I think it is good to start with a combonation of phosgaurd and either purigen or chemipure (a lot of us have both).

For the first chamber I like to put filter floss, but this needs to be change at least once a week and twice if you are feeding heavily. You also need to rinse the songe out once a week if you decide to keep it.

I think a poewerhead is necessary, specially if you are planning on adding a lot of live rock as you don't want any dead spots in the tank. There are so many available all depends what you want to spend (I just ordered myself a new one:biggrin:) you should go for something around 4000lph if you are unsure.

This is just my opinion and what works for me but you will find there are a lot ways to do this.

mandarinman likes this.
  12. Meneer

Meneer

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

14. stevengrant

stevengrant

15. 2balive

2balive

16. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I've added my 2c inbetween the qoute.ur off to a good start:thumbup: