Sugar dosing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MadScientist, 25 Oct 2013.

1. MadScientist

MadScientist

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to find out if anyone has tried sugar dosing and the effects that were found when doing so.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Sugar = Carbon dosing, plenty off threads on MASA
    Vinigar
    Vodca
    NOPOX
    Sugar

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

Ive used sugar before in the past....I can certainly say that it works, however it is so easy to overdose with sugar....so if you want to go this route then be careful and slowly build up your dosages.

NB very easy to overdose and cause bacteria blooms in your tank

5. jimilutz

jimilutz

I was using sugar, vodka and vinegar in various regimes to get my no3 down from 100ppm type levels. It gave me lots of diatoms. I moved to orca biocubes when I got to the 20s as I wanted a less dramatic bloom which would be more stable and require less mission (you have to dose small amounts frequently). I have since got to <1 ppm no3 but I have also added a DSB and calupra on a 20hour reverse light cycle.

6. pkc

pkc

Excellent,good on you mate!!!

7. MadScientist

MadScientist Thread Starter

How do you manage a 20 hour reverse light cycle? 24 hours in a day so a 12/12 i understand. but 20 hours?

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

easy, 20 on, 4 off
    doesnt matter if DT and fuge lighting overlap, you still get the ph stability

9. pkc

pkc

With mine I have a timer for the external algae areas lighting and its set to come on at 2 pm and off at 10 am.
    My display tanks lighting comes on at 6.45 am and off at 9.15pm, it’s so very important to have lights over your water somewhere, “always”!!!
    Algae when not illuminated emits co2, you need lighting over algae else where to up take that co2 while this is happening or that emitted co2 may affect your PH!
    All corals have algae and all algae blows off co2 as a by product when lighting is off and not encouraging photosynthetic functions, this has to be accounted for!

10. jimilutz

jimilutz

Apart from balancing the ph reduction times due to CO2 production, the other reason for this schedule is to give the plants some downtime. This apparently helps prevent calupra from going sexual but I believe all plants also need some rest. Furthermore, my critters in the fuge need a little darkness so that the shy ones can get out and about. I believe the minimum downtime is 2hrs but I give them 4hrs.

11. pkc

pkc

Its amazing, I have seen it written many times here in Auz by supposed gurus and even a forum marine biologist to go 24 hours on algae and others say far less.
    17 to 20 hours to them was idiotic?
    An alga goes sexual totally due the reefers mistakes or lack of good info, no other reasons!
    Oh and with out marine algae, we would not exist!

We need to remember at all times that the symbiotic photosynthetic life, “you know corals”, that we try to keep, are run by its specific algae!
    I was fortunate when chasing the algae purification dream for my reef aquariums waters to be able to talk with one of our teachers of marine biologists here in Q and her major was algae and she brought it all into perspective.
    There is so much more to many marine algae combined with the oxidation processes with the nitrogen cycle then many realise.
    Here in Auz it’s like hitting your head against a brick wall trying to get the info out the way most forums are run here.
    This info passed on from Merrill was in the 80s and she said from confirming with her counter parts in the states that they believe algae can with stand 16 to 20 hours max of full lighting and no more with out corrupting the very functions that enable it to photosynthesis, the main one being cyano bacteria.
    They believe that it will suffer greatly from over exposure in the long term; it has to go through the co2 production phase each 24 hour period.
    The info was shot down here in Auz and makes the larger forum based info here quite embarrassing.
    Business interests and want to be no nothing greenies run our portion of the Internet.
    Go info guys, keep it up.

12. jimilutz

jimilutz

I don't have lots of tertiary education but I did run an experiment with light cycles and coriander seeds in my terrarium. The plants I grew on 24hrs were very puny. At about 20hrs was my fastest growth with the most substance. I did not do thesis level observations and measurements, so I may be wrong and it may just be my subjective opinion.

Interesting you mention cyanobacteria as I do get some of this on my plants but I just suck it out occasionally and rationalise that it would only grow if there were the correct nutrients for it. Sucking the cyano out exports these nutrients so it is all good in the end. I would rather it grows in the fuge than in the DT.

13. MadScientist

Thanks for all for your input. Is there some sort of dosing limit? so much sugar per number of litres?

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

15. MadScientist

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Please read the link. It explains all carbon dosing in detail. I still go back and read it every so often.

17. pkc

pkc

The main reasons that I refer to cyano is that it is not just what gives us all life, it is also in all plants, land and marine.
    It's actually the basis for all life.
    If you can mate keep some non symbiotic cyano some where out side the aquarium, it helps stop any from developing to any degree in your display tank.
    I encourage a little in my algae area.

18. MadScientist

Hi @pkc,

How exactly do you do this, without it affecting your DT? I remember having some in my sump, but it takes a week or two of missed water changes to kick start it in the DT. I first started seeing it on the return line pipe, and then it gets onto the substrat, and rocks.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. mandarinman

mandarinman

Possibly by slowing down the flow? I wouldnt encourage cyano because all it means in my opinion is that in the specific area that cyano is, there is a nutrient or carbon excess and not enough flow. When the nutrients are gone the cyano will move on or die off. Cyano is target specific so having it in one area will not reduce problems in another area. ( all imo of course)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. pkc

pkc

You had it there and lost it in the rest.
    Mandarinman is pretty switched on usually but this time not so great.
    The flow thing you are right about, I provide two areas for this either side of my pump in the algae area, and they are areas for cyano for the short term growing over my algae there so it does its bit but does not kill the algae.
    Nutrients are either in the water or they are not, they don’t increase due to slow flow, they may concentrate there with in reason, but the slow flow doesn’t make them.
    It does how ever retain cyano because a good current blasts cyano away!
    I have it there and from time to time push it to the out lets to my settling filters with a pain brush, it then dies with out light and breaks down releasing what it has converted nutrients into.
    I know that all life as their cells get broken down by the nitrogen cycle emits orthophosphate-phosphorus that are part of all life forms cell components and the other being pure nitrogen gas as the last part of the nitrogen cycle.
    Amongst this nutrients are converted into amonio acids,strontium,harmless carbons to name a few of what cyano converts that are broken down by bacteria to other valuable elements as well.
    Its quite busy in there,lol.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Oct 2013
  21. mandarinman

mandarinman

Haha interesting info

Recent Posts