success with Golden angels (Centropyge Aurantia)

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by leslie hempel, 17 May 2014.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im looking for local reefers who have had or are currently keeping these fish, i understand they are difficult and estreemly shy and success seems to be limited from my research, but most of what i have read about them is pretty old and im looking for more current thoughts/experience.

it seems the first problem is they are not easy to catch and hence in most cases they are collected unethically with some destruction to the reef or possibly cyanide?

secondly they do not like highly lit systems and need alot of cover only being visable 50% of the time if you are lucky..

post some pics of the ones currently kept successfully and offer your input.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

You should remember I've tried my hand at 2 and both died...scared by other dwarf angels in the tank into a constant state of hiding and death. Whether death was brought on by the attack, or an already sickly fish or not getting any food I am still unsure.

What I can say is, if you are going to try one make sure there are no other aggressive fish in the tank at all when this fish is introduced...not the most coral friendly fish either from what I remember of the other person in town who managed to keep one a bit longer than I did.

4. 4age

4age

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Yep I remember yours mark. It was some time ago though so was hoping things had changed a bit. I also chatted to darron. His tank was small though..
    @Submariner also had one if I remember correctly.

im wanting out of the ordinary angels for a change. And im looking at this one, Multi coloured and a colins if I can find one.

I havent investigated the colins properly yet regarding price but its also a deepwater angel.

I will have low light on the edges of my new tank scape so im sure I can accomodate these angels. But procurement and introduction is a long way off.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

an old member Martin had one. In a rather big tank so it could get away from other angels.

But as said, it is very shy, and you will only get glimpses of it at times.

7. leslie hempel

Ive read stories of them being complete extroverts. So as with coral compatability I suppose is comes down to the individual.

8. Achilles

Achilles

That is correct i have had one for over 6 years now , it is very shy but can become more bold if it isnt harrassed by any fish, for the first two years it fed exclusively from live rock and food generated by the aquarium but now eats anything offered, it is housed in a very peaceful section in my soft coral section with minimal fish( pair of percula clowns, bristle tail filefish, brown surgeon and biocellatus wrasse).I believe this is the reason for my success it can not compete with other pygmy angels in terms of aggression , it is shy and one of the hardest fish to get a picture of due to colouring and it hanging in shadows but it is a rewarding fish , kinda like seeing a leopard in the kruger when compared to other fish in the tank. Have not found it to bother any softies or zoanthids but it may peck at some lps it doesnt bother candycane ,pectinia, favia ,mushrooms or green star polyps.

have a picture of mine on my thread

Last edited: 18 May 2014
  9. leslie hempel

Thanks for the input achillies. Good to hear of a success story. The system im building now will be my last for some time. I want to get it super established before I place my order for the golden.

Will definatley look at adding him in 1st before and of I add other angels.

I intend to put alot of focuss onto my rock structure to create the habitat he needs to thrive.

10. leslie hempel

Any further info on thrse little beauts? Any way to distinguish sex in the hopes of pairing?

11. leslie hempel

Bump

Recent Posts