Success with elegance corals

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Broder, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Has anyone had any success with them? Do you target feed or just general feed? Moderate flow in the bottom of the tank seems to be the concensus on placement. Are there any other preferred water parameters?
    [​

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Success with elegance is nearly all about the specimen you receive these days.

Ten years ago this was really one of the toughest corals around, taking all sorts of light and needing no supplimentary food. I've had a big guy for around four years now and he was sold to me by a guy who had it for ten years before that. He's almost bulletproof.

Eric Borneman did a fairly lengthy study recently and pinned the problem on a disease (symdrome) peculiar to elegance that is picked up from exposure to infected specimens in the catching / holding facilities before transport and causes death in virtually all cases.

Its not a good idea to get one unless you can get a fragged one from an established colony.

4. Broder

Broder Thread Starter Mudshark

Thanks for your response Bob. Well I'm out of pocket then... although it's good to know that demand for wild collected species will probably dwindle then.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I can remember reading somewhere that one of the key elements to helping maintain an elegance coral was Manganese, I'll see if I can find those links again.

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Would that be the legendary elegance of Tobie Schalkwyk? If so, I can vouch for that - saw it about 6-8 years ago, and it was STUNNING :thumbup:

Yup... The other major problem is that most elegances used to be collected from very shallow waters in the past. Currently, there are just about none left to find in shallow waters, and they are now collected from much deeper down on the reefs - they are thus used to dim lighting, and are then literally fried by our bright metal halides.

Hennie

7. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Hennie, it is indeed Tobie's old elegance. Tough as nails, I've split him up a bit as he kept overgrowing himself and the bottom sections died off. This way he is rapidly expanding in all directions.:)

Regarding the import of elegance. This is not a recent problem, its been around for over five years.

IMO nobody should be bringing them in at all. They are increasingly rare in the wild. The reason is that they are so pretty, there is a demand so the collectors keep taking them out.

If 5% of the ones we get from indonesia survive, imagine how many died to even get them to the shop. Maybe for every successful elegance in a tank after a year, 100 have died.

Possibly we should, after telling all LFS's threaten to name-and-shame those that still import them. Maybe make it a policy at MASA? If we get rid of demand, they'll stop the totally unsustainable removal and destruction of these corals.

8. Reef Maniac

I fully agree - and after losing one some 2 weeks after buying it some years ago I undertook never to buy another (imported) elegance.

Could I please book a frag for the next time you do some trimming - I will gladly pay for a piece of old Tobies' elegance.

Buy the way, do you still have contact with him - if so, please send my regards.

Hennie

9. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Sure, its dropping a baby at the moment. They don't always work out, and there is another guy I've promised one to for ages. But after that I'll give you a shout.:)

10. Reef Maniac

Thanks, Bob :thumbup:

11. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

Im a big fun of the catalaphyllia jardinei...the problem with tham it's not dificulty to keep,cause thay are very easy lps...the problem it's with bacterian desises,cause of the way thay are colected from the nature...sometimes we can get one what is not infected...but it's rare,the simuler problem is with euphyllia...my was for two months in the tank,was opening so great and eat like a creazy...and now i see ,he is swollowen,the tips are not opening and whole coral look not to good...there is a medicaments for that...antybiothic doxycycline...the corals normally should get a quarantanne for a months with 4,5 days with the antybiothic,does not metter if thay look good or not...im very sad my elegance look so bed and im not trying to full myself...i think without a month maximum,he will day...onother thing,the elegance with rose tips seems to be easer and more hardy from the violet tips (what i got)...the violet tips for the night thay are dissipiring completly in the sceleton and rose tips only half way...im really looking for a solution that we can be able to keep this beautyfull creature without our stress...Raphael...

Recent Posts