Substrate

Try one of our sponsors. I know Liaquat from Aquality has some very good aragonite in stock.

As Warr Mentioned.
remember Aragonite offers more buffering rather than playsand.many successfull reeftanks run on playsand,and sincing its a fish only tank,i would go the cheaper way (playsand)

Why not go Bare Bottom ?

What you need the substrate for in a fish only tank ?

OK so th I have the following linked up to may main display.
A 2 m sump full of Caribsea Special grade reef sand seflor aragonite in a DSB plenum.
I also have a 1.2m tank full of Seachem meridian aragonite for a DSB.
So I think I am covered as far as buffering goes.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using playsand as a substrate?
Does it allow more algae growth or are the particle sizes pretty even thus minimising algae growth?

OK so th I have the following linked up to may main display.
A 2 m sump full of Caribsea Special grade reef sand seflor aragonite in a DSB plenum.
I also have a 1.2m tank full of Seachem meridian aragonite for a DSB.
So I think I am covered as far as buffering goes.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using playsand as a substrate?
Does it allow more algae growth or are the particle sizes pretty even thus minimising algae growth?

Advantages - price and particle size is small enough to not allow detritus build-up

Disadvantages - no buffering, will go brown if you are cycling or don't have control of your parameters

Disadvantages - no buffering, will go brown if you are cycling or don't have control of your parameters
when you say brown,are you referring to Diatoms?if yes,my 600 cube using caribsea aragonite in my DT also went brown with diatos during the cycling period.and no hectic water parameters,normal cycle

Back
Top Bottom