Substrate

Reaction score
Any idea why this part of my tank's substrate has gone black/grey ?

52847d26918d19f4.jpg

Dead snail maybe?

If a snail died would the shell be left behind ?

I poked the substrate and there is definitely no shell. I also thought it could be a snail as I have burrowing units.

Warr, just a thought. There seems to be air bubbles in your subtrate, if it is it could be bacteria growth.

Anoxic refers to an oxygen depleted area. This also occurs naturally in the ocean.

The bubbles normally occur when you add the water after the substate is in place. They become starved of oxygen and then they can feed bacteria like cyano.

Anoxic refers to an oxygen depleted area. This also occurs naturally in the ocean.

The bubbles normally occur when you add the water after the substate is in place. They become starved of oxygen and then they can feed bacteria like cyano.

May have been when I aquascaped. Should I leave it or try get rid of it ?

Not as drastic. I would take something and slowly turn the area of sand to let out the bubbles.

Warr, I'm not sure if it's harmful. I have lots of it but have never bothered with it.

Hi Warr - what you are seeing is most likely the result of your DSB actually working. As being said - the area have most likely gone anoxic. Meaning that the oxygen in that area have now been depleted, and the an-aerobic bacteria is now turning the nitrates into nitrogen gas an hydrogen gas. The same goes for the bubbles in your DSB.
The blackness could most likely be hydrogen sulfide that you are seeing. This should NOT be released into the water, as it IS toxic to the life in your tank.

Here's a few links on this for your info:
NitrateNNR

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dsbfaq2.htm

Last edited:

Jacques I have to ask where are you going with this link above.

Quote:"Lab fires don’t happen as often as you might think, at least to hear the way organic chemists talk. We all have alarming stories of alarming reactions (often set up by some rather alarming labmates), but these things are harvested over a fairly broad range of experience. It’s a familiar enough topic that I can remember someone sitting down at lunch while we were swapping lab stories and saying “Oh, this conversation. . .”" :whistling:

Sorry - Warr - :blushing: Me -> :1:

I need a HOLIDAY... been a tough week - AND getting old - me eyes not as good as it used to be... :)

No to be serious - was a slight mistakes.... to quick to copy... :)

Back
Top Bottom