Substrate choices

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ScottK, 10 Aug 2012.

1. ScottK

ScottK

I recently purchased a 1.2m from a fellow MASA reefer . The setup came with play sand and I must say it's not my favourite choice for use in my DT.

What other options are there that don't cost an arm and a leg?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

im afraid you get what you pay for in marines. Personally i like aragonite, its expensive but does the job beautifully. Its heavier than most other substrates for its size, creates a great environment for micro organisms to live in and stays pretty white. I wouldnt recoment the sugar fine aragonite as that seems to blow around in systems that have highish flow (say and sps dominated tank).

the best would be to watch the second hand forum and buy someone else sand bed if a tank gets broken down, then wash it very well before using it.

4. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

I Agree with Crispin

Its all about personal preference and what you are planing to have in your tank, if you have the buks, then Aragonite is the best.

5. shaunn

shaunn

6. mookz

mookz

You could try Filla dust (dolomite sand), it is very fine and similar to aragonite but is cheap as chips.
    I think I paid R175 for 160 kg a year ago, cant remember, but it was under R200.

These guys sell it Cape Lime

Quoted from another site.
    "Calcium based sands. These include the dolomite and aragonite family of sand products. Highly reactant with water. Not recommended for freshwater community tanks, but would suffice for marine, brackish water, or freshwater tanks needing a buffer for higher pH (such as African cichlid species tanks)."

7. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Decided I am rather going to go with one of the Caribsea aragonite products. What's the minimum recommended depth if it's mainly for looks and small critters?

At 2cm depth I could probably get away with one 18kg bag for 120x60?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how deep is your tank?
    what flow pumps do you want to use?

These 2 factors influences your choice in substrate the most. For SPS tank with high flow you would need heavier substrate. Sugarfine aragonite will be blown away. Shallow tanks, 40cm water depth and even playsand would do the same, depending on pump positioning, rating, rock work placing etc....

Too coarse substrate will catch more detritus, although fine aragonite does it as well.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

sugar fine although it looks amazing quickly gets annoying as it gets blown away. Even before I had sps and kept lps the sugar fine used to get blown away. Special grade is a better option.

There is a shop not far from me that had crushed coral, a nice small particle size around special grade for R200 for 10kg

10. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

The tank is 45cm deep. I am using two Sunsuns at the moment (1x 3200lph and 1x 5000lph), I will be adding my MP10 when I move my LS across.

I am leaning towards Fiji Pink as I believe is slightly bigger and heavier than the sugar fine aragonite.

My calculations work out that one 18kg bag should give me around 1.5cm of depth, is this enough or should I go deeper?

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Go a bit deeper. The sand will settle out somewhat over time so it wont stay 1.5cm.
    Fish/inverts will disturb the sand bed so if its too shallow they will end up exposing the bottom which doesnt look too good.

Recent Posts