Substrate - check this out

Pretty much the same stuff a lot of guys use here, playsand, silica sand, it's quite safe to use.

Ocellaris: I'm a big fan of using Aragonite (which is pricey). But if you're on a budget, go for playsand from Toys 'R Us. Thats what many guys use.

hi guys

i will be using argagonite in my DSB, ok which would be better the silica sand or the play sand?

both are the same.but you do get different sizes. Play sand is mad up of silica but is very fine which is excellent for a dsb

I wouldn`t put silica sand in a tank unless i really wanted cyano outbreaks.

As for play sand, the less i say the better, most who use it eventually start a thread which starts with `How do i get rid of troublesome algaes.....`

As for play sand, the less i say the better, most who use it eventually start a thread which starts with `How do i get rid of troublesome algaes.....`

Except me ;)

Thx Midasblenny was wondering y their was a test kit for silicates.

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin SILICAT-TEST
With shelf life test and Comparator.

For the precise determination of the silicate concentration in fresh- and saltwater aquaria.

Natural water (groundwater, rivers, lakes, oceans) will always contain silicate but the amount present will depend on the weathering of silicate rocks. The concentration of silicate when analysing stones, sediments, soils and water is usually described in mg/litre of silicon dioxide (SiO2).
Silicates are basically non-toxic to the organisms in an aquarium. An increased concentration of silicate can, however, lead to the increased algal bloom of diatoms, which utilise silicon dioxide for building their cell walls. Particular attention should therefore be paid to the concentration of silicate when setting up a new aquarium.

silicat.jpg
As a preventive measure we therefore recommend regularly checking the tap water or the treated water using the new Tropic Marin Silicate Test.

NEW INNOVATIONS BY Tropic Marin®:

1. The Tropic Marin® Comparator
2. Shelf life testing.

I have been using the Seachem silicate kit for a well now, and have never got a reading, not sure if it's the test kit itself or just don't have it in my substrate ?

AFAIK silica is inert in the sand. So how will it become available for cyano to use?

Chuckle chuckle. Agree but a topic not worth debating

woow guyz...
im now confused, ok tell me what is the best substrate
to use without any such problems yet having a nice white colour to it?

The white gold is just so expensive that you may find it cheaper to buy your own island.:) The debate IMO (dsb's)is whether the extra expense is justified. Google the Caribsea range of substrates

thanx guys im gonna google the caribsea substrate
and see what i come up with
tell me guys just a little of the topic is R18.00 per 25L R/O water at a good price?

Back
Top Bottom