Substrate - check this out

so the diatoms are dependent on the silica to live? Hmm but then i have seen tanks with crushed coral as a substrate that still got diatoms blooms. Also from my experience i got a diatom bloom on my FW tank when i just set it up and after a few weeks it was gone. I only got green algea which i wanted as it was an african cichlid tank and the amount that i got at a time was dependent on the frequency that i changed the filter wool, the cleaner the wool the less algea in the tank.

Diatom blooms seem to be most evident during the juvenile stages of your tank. As Rob Toonen advises, nutrients other than silicates are also required ie phosphates and nitrates. This stage then leads to other lower order algae blooms. More often than not, tanks that are rushed through these juvenile stages will be plagued by other exotic forms. But one thing is certain. That silicates are always present with diatom blooms

hi guys, im back
had been sick for 3 days,
just alittle of the topic, i ve been to julies pet store
in gateway, i asked this guys for the price of their ro water and he said that they give that free to their customers but their nsw is R25 per 25L that they retrieve from
very deep water due to the chemistry of the water,

hi guys

ive been to reggies in the pinecrest mall and they have play sand
R40 per 20 KG but the sand is brown, if continuosly washed would this be white

cool, i will give it a shot soon, thanx mike
btw mike what substrate do you have in your tank?

hi guys

ive been to reggies in the pinecrest mall and they have play sand
R40 per 20 KG but the sand is brown, if continuosly washed would this be white
All the best washing :) Requires quiet a few rinses to get it pure white.

;) ha ha ha i gues you right
just hope my vigirous washing dont turn sand to glass .... ha ha ha
but the sand looks so brown, i sat there, looked at it and said
would this really turn out white ... oh well its worth a try tho
i will try it out shortly :)

He uses CaribSea Seaflor special grade Aragonite.

Jsut wash the play sand very well. Put in a bucket put hose in it and let the water run with your hand turn the sand around. You will see that at first you get a brown foam on the water. the sand is white in the display under the lights have it in my display.

How did the washing go Ocellaris? Are you happy with your white playsand? :)

hi viper

:( no luck with the playsand as i had been busy this weekend,
and will be for the next two weekends :( but hopefully i get a break
this weekend tho to get my play sand

Back
Top Bottom