Substrate cementing together

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 5 Aug 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi all, I use crushed coral sand as substarate and ive noticed that some clumps have literally cemented together to form little rocks about 2-4cm in diameter. some can be broken up but others are rock solid, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? and maybe why its happening?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentv

brentv

Possibly overdosing with calcium or kalkwasser...???

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@deadmeat2016 this is very common. Some say that the low pH in the gravel causes the Ca to rise in the substrate column. As it rises the pH increases and the Ca binds and solidifies. causing the clumping.
    Others say it is microorganisms braking down the Ca and causing it to reform.

The above is one of the reasons i believe that aragonite (it and Calcium carbonate are more prone to clumping) buffer aquarium water.

In one of RiaanP's threads re DSB's we went into this aspect. I will try and find it for you tonight.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

im sorta with the micro organisms thing, when i take the clumps out, somtimes little worms and things come out, the calcium theory has me worried cus i have a calcium reactor and no sps yet. thanks for the help mr janitor :)

Recent Posts