stunning nudibranch looking for a home

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by warrmich, 20 Sep 2013.

1. warrmich

warrmich

If anyone would like my nudity, please let me know

20130919_163612.jpg

IMG-20130919-00246.jpg

IMG-20130919-00245.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bflynn

Bflynn

what does that guy eat?

4. DesertReef

DesertReef

Price?

5. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Other sea slauds and goggas in the sand

6. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Ag whAtever.....make an offer

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

do you keep zoas in your tank?

8. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

That's not a Zoa eatn nudi .... Generally nudis are bad for tanks unless proven reef safe,nudis who come as hitchikers are usually the bad ones ..be carefull, wen In doubt,chuck it out:lol: don't pimp it off to another reefer not knwing wat species it is,could cause devistation in someones tank:rofl: ....ID it and take it from there

9. STC-1000

Oh and this a a family site, plz refraim from selling 'nudity' :p check thread title:rofl:

10. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

It is a Philinopsis cyanea, it is quite a variable species found throughout the tropical Indo-West Pacific. It varies in colour from plain black to black with blue, white, yellow or brownish-yellow markings. Sometimes animals have a pale brown background colour. Juvenile animals are often more colourful than adults. In my picture alongside, of a juvenile animal from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (May, 1974), you can see the characteristic shape of species of Philinopsis. The posterior edge of the headshield has a tapering crest, which stands erect, and the body is cylindrical in shape. Species of Philinopsis are usually found burrowing through sand or mud. They have lost their radular teeth.

There are two quite distinct groups in the genus, one with a large eversible buccal bulb like Philinopsis cyanea, and a second with a long tubular pharynx like Philinopsis gardineri. The group with the large buccal bulb feed on other bubble shells, such as Bulla, Atys and Haminoea.

They feed by partially everting their large muscular buccal bulb, (or pharynx), to envelop their prey which they swallow whole. After digestion, the empty, unbroken shell of the prey is regurgitated, being too large to pass through the gut. Species of Philinopsis, when collected, often spit out two or three clean, unbroken bubble shells.

11. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

I don't understand, the title says nudibranch.....not nudity:) please refrain from making silly comments if the actual problem is a reading one.

I have had him for over 6 months and never has he caused any form of destruction, ....if he did, the toilet would be his home.:tt2:

12. STC-1000

The one who has a reading problem is you ....ready the 1st post, it clearly states "if any1 would like my nudity,plz let me knw" ......

Also nice cut and paste done above....none of what u pasted above is relevent in the fact 'is it reef safe' ....

13. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Ok ok....I think we're going off the subject here...(nice boxing match though...it was fun). If any one wants him, let me know. He's never caused any problems in my tank and I don't believe he will,....do some of your own research if you want him but I'm not asking for money for him, just a good home....other option is to simply release him back into the ocean.
    The cut and paste was just a help for those who didn't know this species.
    I didn't join this site to make enemies, it was to make friends interested in the same creepy crawlies as I am.
    ;)

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

why are you giving him away? are you shutting down your tank? what do you feed it?
    sorry about all the questions ..I don't really know much about nudis besides that if I see one in my tank I should catch it and flush it. some of them are stunning tho and come with some amazing colors

15. SteveZi

SteveZi

Hi,
    tell us more about your tank and other livestock

16. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

I'm never satisfied with my tank, alway chopping and changing....there are a few things I keep but, very few. Every time I buy corals, I get funny things coming with it, this nudi is a machine in eating and ridding me of all of the hitchhikers. I just recently got another one so I was willing to give one up. The new one is red and white and I like his colors better.
    Now you won't have to flush them, he will just eat them...lol.
    At the moment, every time I go to the beach, I look for the odd nudi for him to eat.
    I'm unemployed at the moment, so I'm always divin and scouraging in the rock pools!

17. SteveZi

SteveZi

that's cool man, I love the rockpools.
    just a note -
    If you have bought corals in your tank it would be considered irresponsible to release the nudi back into the ocean.
    It's also illegal to sell or give away anything that you've collected from the rockpools.

18. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Sorry bro, I didn't know it was illegal to give it away...my corals are bought and those I don't get rid of,.

19. Achilles

Achilles

would that species eat montipora eating nudibranches?

20. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know

21. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

Just googled motipora eating nudibranchs and, had similar ones in my tank, and yes...he ate them quite quick....now I learnt something new too:thumbup:

Recent Posts