Strontium vs red slime algae

Who doses strontium and how often - who has seen cyano been eradicated?

• Total voters
Reaction score
i had some red slime algae on some of my liverock and sand, turned sand over, next day it is back. as a separate exercise i dissolved 1 gram of strontium chloride hexahydrate crystals in 1.5l of ro and poured it into my 250 l tank, next day red algae gone! so now i have a bee in bonnet , if anyone else has red slime algae please dose strontium and let me know if it dissappears. i dont know if only the crystals do this or if it was the crystals at all.

Reaction score
from Wiki for those who dont know what it is...

Strontium chloride (SrCl2) is a salt of strontium and chloride. It is a typical salt, forming neutral aqueous solutions. Like all compounds of Sr, this salt emits a bright red colour in a flame and in fact is used as a source of redness in fireworks. Its chemical properties are intermediate between those for barium chloride, which is more toxic, and calcium chloride.

Reaction score
I am not sure about this, but I noticed this morning that my Cyano is also way down (asked my wife when last she did a tank cleanup and she said a couple of days ago) Normally when we clean, the cyano is back in full force the next day. I started adding Strontium about 03 days ago, so maybe it could be, but will check this afternoon....

Reaction score
I am not sure about this, but I noticed this morning that my Cyano is also way down (asked my wife when last she did a tank cleanup and she said a couple of days ago) Normally when we clean, the cyano is back in full force the next day. I started adding Strontium about 03 days ago, so maybe it could be, but will check this afternoon....
thats cool to hear, lets see what everybody else comes up with

Reaction score
found this re srontium chloride about five min ago:
Strontium Chloride Solution is a very pure and concentrated form of strontium, free of phosphates and nitrates. The aquarist should be aware that Strontium Chloride does not add bicarbonate and carbonate ions to the system. Since most calcifying organisms require these ions in addition to strontium ions, the aquarist should monitor alkalinity frequently when using Strontium Chloride and make the proper adjustments with a buffer additive. Exactly how strontium supplementation benefits marine aquaria is a subject open for debate. Some have demonstrated its effectiveness in precipitating orthophosphate from the water column. This could result in less problem algae blooms and enhanced calcification of corals and coralline algae by lowering phosphates, which has been shown to "poison" calcification. Others have speculated that less energy is required for calcifying organisms to extract strontium carbonate than calcium carbonate because of greater insolubility. Regardless of the mechanism involved, there is strong anecdotal evidence that marine aquaria dosed with Strontium Chloride show increased growth rates of coralline algae and hard corals. There have been reports of suspected strontium toxicity to aquarium inhabitants when large doses were applied, so we recommend that the aquarist not exceed maximum recommended dose

Reaction score
Well i`ve always dosed strontium as part of my daily additive regime as it it is one of the necessary elements to keep in check but in keeping cyano at bay? not sure and would rather find the reason as to why its there in the first place like high nutrient levels and low flow/oxygen etc.

Reaction score
it seems that strontium removes phos frm water column and that may affect algae bloom. i must say that if it works this way i would prefer controlling phos with strontium rather than a phos reactor(I DONT HAVE ONE SO THIS IS PURE SPECULATION). this would possibly explain that although freshwater enters sea with phosphates in it strontium removes it preventing algae blooms because phos becomes innert.(speculation)

Reaction score
IF THERE IS ANYONE IN CAPE TOWN THAT HAS CYANO AND WANTS TO TRY THIS OUT I WILL GLADLY GIVE U SOME STRONTIUM CHLORIDE FOR FREE TO DOSE YOUR TANK ONCE TO SEE IF WE GET THE SAME RESULTS( PROB 5 G MAX NEEDED)

Reaction score
o.k i dosed today i'll tjek it out tomorow, hope this works, but i have something else that will kill cyano directly, it's called Erythtomycin( 100miligrams per 10 gallons over 2 days), u can get it at the vet.( i have not tried this but i have red allot about it, it seems to work in 2 hours time.

Reaction score
Erythtomycin is an anti-biotic... not sure you want that sorta stuff in a reef tank... the guys use it in FW tanks to treat the green cyno that we get. I REALLY wont use this in a reef tank... i mean a reeftank is all about the micro-biotics....

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
o.k i dosed today i'll tjek it out tomorow, hope this works, but i have something else that will kill cyano directly, it's called Erythtomycin( 100miligrams per 10 gallons over 2 days), u can get it at the vet.( i have not tried this but i have red allot about it, it seems to work in 2 hours time.
Lanzo,

How sure are you it's not also killing all the other bacteria in your tank?

Reaction score
i can't really remember how it works i read it a few weeks back, but it only kills the bad bacteria, can't really remember.:p

Reaction score
nope - it kills all bacteria. Its a VERY board spectrum anti-biotic:

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, such as bronchitis; diphtheria; Legionnaires' disease; pertussis (whooping cough); pneumonia; rheumatic fever; venereal disease (VD); and ear, intestine, lung, urinary tract, and skin infections. It is also used before some surgery or dental work to prevent infection.

Reaction score
i want to emphasize that i dosed with strontium chloride, there are other strontiums that are not as soluble. the effect i got may not be the same with strontium sulphide