Stripping down a tank

Reaction score
We are about to strip down a large hexaganal tank, we will be using guitar string to cut the silicone once we have removed the top bracing struts. Is there any new way to remove the silicone from the glass besides a sharp blade?

some people do use silicone striper.but there are pros and cons to it.lets see what the other tank builders gotta say

some people do use silicone striper.

Bostik has got a silicone remover, BUT it is expensive you need to use ALLOT and it needs to stand for 16hours if I remember correctly,

I have had allot of success with those red "paint strippers" the ones with the stanley blade in the front, you just need to get the angle right and it comes off easily

Last edited:
We are about to strip down a large hexaganal tank, we will be using guitar string to cut the silicone once we have removed the top bracing struts. Is there any new way to remove the silicone from the glass besides a sharp blade?
I use a Minora blade for the joints, just be careful. Better to use sharp blade such as Stanley. Dont really want a lot of chemicals around.

I've used both methods and the silicone stripper works well but is a PITA. Using a stanley knife is chop chop with good results.

Back
Top Bottom