Stripping a tank down

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 22 Jun 2011.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hey everyone
    Really need some advice, recently received a free 2.0m tank with an overflow, unfortunately cleaning it, i found a crack in the base glass at the non-overflow end :(:(, I know I need to strip it and rebuild, right? how do I 'recycle' this glass? without damaging it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The best way to repair is to lay/silicone another base over the old one. Far quicker and the base will be stronger as well.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

I'm a student on my vacation so please excuse the...persistence. Do you mean placing a new piece of glass inside the tank over the crack and siliconing the thing in? this is a tank for my family so failure is not an option and. Let me try post some pics tomorrow.
    Apparently the thing has been standing around for a year so it might be best to rebuild?? Studying a Bsc so dont worry bout tech details :( wanna do this right

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes we repair most cracked bases that way. Best post some pic's for me to have a look at. See if you can get a pic or two of the silicone joins.

On tanks that split a seem we normally silicone a 10mm x 15-20mm strip in the corners. but lets see the state of the tank first.

Recent Posts