Stringer

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stringer, 7 Mar 2010.

1. Stringer

Stringer

Hiya all. Have had a marine tank for about two years now, mainly catch my own fish as that is the most fun part and frustrating, want to take it to the next level as tank never seems to look as good as it should.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome!!! Do you have any pics of your tank and some specs about the tank?

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

How bout a couple of pics of what you already have ?

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Stringer, and WELCOME to MASA

Well, firstly, we need to know what your current setup is (tank size, equipment, filtration, lights, pumps, etc.) a few photos would also help to give us the "big picture" Also, do you test your water - if so, please supply test results.

Secondly, you will have to consider the type of fish you keep. Just adding whatever you've caught is a sure recipe for problems, especially if you plan on keeping corals, etc. EVERYTHING in the tank needs to be compatible - from the fish to the crabs/shrimp to the corals to the bristleworms, and THAT'S the most difficult part :biggrin:

It is, of course, also essential to have a good idea of what you want for your tank - fish only, mixed soft corals, or a full-blown hard coral reef tank.

Hennie

6. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

8. Stringer

Stringer Thread Starter

Hi

I don't have any pics at the moment a little embarressed to show it as it looks now, as i have neglected the tank recently. I've just got back from sea and loaded 250 L of sea water so need to do a water change which i havent done for about three months although the fish seem to be doing pretty well. Giving the tank a complete revamp and springclean today.
    (Just finished did approx 200L change 20%) The tank is a approx 1000L, have a protein skimmer, Aqua medic Wave maker(4 pumps in each corner) 4 lights, center of the tank have a rim overflow -water filters through a guaze layer and bio balls down into the sump below, Protein skimmer in first chamber discharging water through into second tank which filters through some crushed coral and then pumped back into the tank. Have a kalkwasse which is not working at the moment. I also have a separate filter system that sucks up the water and takes it through various carbon filters and gauze filters before pumping back into the tank. Four sets of flourecent lights, 2 x blue and 2 x white. I dont have all the correct terminology but im sure youll understand.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

That's probably one of the problems. Bio-balls and crushed coral causes high nitrates. A deep sand bed or macro algae like chaetomorpha is much better as biological filtration than bio-balls. Can you post you water parameters please?

10. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Stringer

11. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!!:thumbup:

12. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

13. Viper

Viper

Welcome to MASA !

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Stringer! Great to have you on-board, mate!

Please post some pics of your tank, lifestock, filtration system, lighting and in-tank water-flow system!

Recent Posts