Strikes....zim here we come.

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by magman, 31 Aug 2010.

1. magman

magman

I hope you guys all filled up, but what is happening to this country. Everyone is going on strike. I mean the petrol attendants now, schools, nurses, the country is going to come to a halt any minute.

If the attendants go on strike, and then the fuel prices go up, then so does evrything else.

Dean, Crispy, you guys got room up there?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Magman its part of living in a democratic country. We gota live with it.BTW England has strikes as well. anyone remember the BA fiascio

4. Afsal

Afsal

Hey guys , I'm a manager @ a service station and the demands of the union are ridiculous. For eg , they demanding that the lowest paid worker i.e a general cleaner must earn 60% of senior managements salary so if the sen manager earns 10 K , the cleaner mus get 6K ....

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the funny thing as pointed out by gareth cliff this morning is that the job of a "petrol Jockey" is a non essential service.. it is a form of job creation..

i say we fill our own damn cars ..

we still have many advantages on this country compared to theres..

stay positive..

PS: no petrol gives me a good excuse not to go to work and i can catch a surf.. :)

as for the doctors well thats a little more serious..

6. Afsal

Afsal

strike update , most of my staff came to work but +- 100 strikers came into the service station , with the usual knob kerries etc and chased the staff away ....

I really hope we become like the states and fill our own vehicles ...

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

Imagine the drive offs, can you see the taxi's paying before leaving?

It was like that in the UK, self service, where you could pay inside or at the pump.

8. Afsal

Afsal

we already get that here sean , well there's a system that the states haVE WHERE u pay 1St ,the cashiers opens the pump to that amount only ...

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Pull in boet, we can go chav bashing. :p

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

This F@#$%^& country.......I give up.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well put it like this, a Petrol Attendant, is a job that we can do ourself. This "post" was only created because the old wise men realize that somehow, they must get masses employed. So they sat around a table thinking, how can we get money to the un-schooled, jobless and strugling bottom end of the community. So at least these men, and a few women can earn something. Have an income, how small is more than nothing. Getting people to realize that money for beer on Friday night is not all you have to live for.

And those who created the "attendant" industry were too lazy to get out of the vehicle.

Another viewpoint.
    You get paid in relation to the risk you carry on your shoulders for your employee. So what if the broom stick operator did not sweep up that one paper ball in the passage today. What minimum qualifications do you need to drive a broom stick. 2 hands, 2 feet IQ of 10, and there you go. Now your floor manager, he got some authority and a lot more responsibilities that the broom stick operator. And he gets paid accordingly.

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude i worked in the cleaning industry.. you cant imagine how hard it is to instill a level of cleanliness into some of the staff..

picture this white gloss tiles and tyre marks on the floor.. easy to remove? definatley.. and what do they do sweep over it saying they removed dust that wasnt there and leave the rubber imprint on the tile..

um doff.. they are pd R10.90 p/h (government stipulated)..

i cannot justify paying them more when their attude is like this... and these are people who have worked for us for a while.....

13. Afsal

Afsal

@ the moment we on skelton staff , and myself , family , friends are chipping in

14. Afsal

Afsal

S A life is hard guys , we working under extreme stress here .....
    Any news how things are elsewhere ??

15. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

My bond registration is being delayed cos the attorneys say the deeds office is on strike...What to do, we gotta live with it...

People saw how much money we have when we built stadiums for worldcup...so now everyone wants a piece off that pie...

16. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Even though the public service sector is on strike, no one can tell the difference to their service delivery (krap no matter what - LOL !).

I think the unions miscalculated this one, that's why they are trying to include the other sectors into a sympathy strike.

17. mandarin

mandarin

Mortuary generators and friges stopped, identification tags removed and corpses moved around, how low can you go. This is insane.

18. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

My sister-in-laws funeral was delayed by two weeks as there no one to issue a death certificate or perform a post mortem. Just not right.

19. SDavies

SDavies

Hi guys, just been reading through this thread. I have worked in Fuel Retail Automation for about 10 years. Most of the systems out there can control the forecourt. ( you pay inside and the Dealer/manager can set a pump to dispense the required amount of fuel ) Peolple in general are lazy and dont want to get out thier cars and pump fuel.

20. neo

neo

Lazy?? no way!, me and a lot of people I know would gladly get out and diy the petrol fill thing but we not allowed cause we dont have that magnetic thing-n-dinges, I hate standing around waiting for some bloke to spot me waving/whistling and then come stroling as if tomorrow is another day for doing it.

21. SDavies

SDavies

Hey Neo. The magnetic thing = attendant tag and thats only so the system can see which pump jockey fuelled from what pump and hold him accountable for the money. I did a rollout for BP about 8 years ago where you can have an E-Fuel tag fitted to your car, so basically it reads all your cars data and then starts the pump. You can then fuel the car by yourself and the amount come's straight of your account.

Recent Posts