Stray voltage in your tank: You should be worried

luckyfish what do you mean when plugged in the right way? isn't sunsun pump got only 2 wires live and neutral?-- why do you have to replace it? is it faulty

Many people in the 80s -90s felt that lateral line disease was related to stray voltage but since then various nutritional, carbon use and even parasites have been linked to it too, definitely makes sense to ground an aquarium and i do believe titanium wire is the best option for the job long term.

and it looks like this company in cape town sells titanium rods and/or wire for medical use inside people's bodies so sure to be good enough for your aquarium http://www.titamed.co.za/download/Titamed_Brochure.pdf

Dont expect titanium to be cheap though but i honestly think everyone should ground their aquariums

Shawn, as Keith (nemosjanitor) explained, the leackage is depending on which way the pump is plugged in, between earth and neutral or earth on live.
What I still cant understand is, why is it, that all submerged equipment comes without grounding prong?
I Germany I used ATK return pumps. They are external only and driven via magnet.
The impeller housing is totally closed, no shaft or wire goes in there.
The two aqua medic returns I used for my big tank where also grounded.
It would be really interesting to know, how much stray voltage each member messured and after grounding the system, if there are any improvements become visible.
Improvements, like less algae, less stressed fish, better coral growth, etc.
It seems, I'm the only one here, who comes up with facts how much Voltage I had.
I wonder why!

Has anyone tried to earth a tank before? Like taking an electrode from the water and then grounding it via wire to a stake in the groud?

Has anyone tried to earth a tank before? Like taking an electrode from the water and then grounding it via wire to a stake in the groud?

Thats exactly what we all effectively have done. If you do it with the whole stake in the ground thing, you might get a dry ground. In other words if your soil is dry you wont have a ground. I've also read stories about lightning hitting this ground and causing problems in the tank.

Thats exactly what we all effectively have done. If you do it with the whole stake in the ground thing, you might get a dry ground. In other words if your soil is dry you wont have a ground. I've also read stories about lightning hitting this ground and causing problems in the tank.
He he buddy - please show me a reefer with "dry" soil where their tanks are kept:lol:

But you spot on about the lightning affecting the pumps and entering through the earth spike - besides much safer to to do it through the electrical circuits of the house ....

I would earth both to be safe!!

Also if you have voltage in your tank you need to check it out not just earth it! there is something wrong with equipment it they are leaking voltage!

my tank has 0.1 V in my tank I will not accept having stray voltage!

& it's easy to see what causing the voltage just switch each plug off until you find the problem

Question regarding the 316 welding rod, I snapped one in half to see if I could hook it in place, I see there is a solid rod beneath the outer lining, is that also 316 stainless
steel? If not, is it also as resistant to salt water?

Question regarding the 316 welding rod, I snapped one in half to see if I could hook it in place, I see there is a solid rod beneath the outer lining, is that also 316 stainless
steel? If not, is it also as resistant to salt water?

I would stay away from welding rods as they may contain some chemical flux in them.

FFS, I've had a 316 welding rod in my tank for a few days now as per this thread. Where do you get a normal 316 rod from?

I would stay away from welding rods as they may contain some chemical flux in them.

I used a 316 welding rid, but without any flux or something around it.
Its pure 316. You should get a rod like that a places where they do a lot of stainless steel railings and stuff. You wont find it at the hardware store.

I used a 316 welding rid, but without any flux or something around it.
Its pure 316. You should get a rod like that a places where they do a lot of stainless steel railings and stuff. You wont find it at the hardware store.
Do you think afrox would have them? If remember correctly there was a welding shop in Montague Gardens but I don't remember where exactly.

Back
Top Bottom