Stray current

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
I'm tired of getting shocked on the sensitive parts of my fingers when I put my hand in the water (and I'm not so sure its great for the livestock either). Is there any simple way of leading this stray current away from the tank?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, isolate each piece of equipment that goes into the tank, and using a test meter (as opposed to your self) test for stray current, once you know which bit of kit is unsafe, mend or replace.
Just so you know, the fish won't feel that current, they are not earthed unlike you

Reaction score
Hi
I'm tired of getting shocked on the sensitive parts of my fingers when I put my hand in the water (and I'm not so sure its great for the livestock either). Is there any simple way of leading this stray current away from the tank?
I have noticed this as well and found it is normally the skimmer that is the cause.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Normally the ballists from flourescent lighting give off stray current.

Reaction score
You have a TS4...I noticed that all 3 of my pumps were giving off stray current on my NEW skimmer...also a TS4

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
You have a TS4...I noticed that all 3 of my pumps were giving off stray current on my NEW skimmer...also a TS4
What?? off a new skimmer. What pumps do they have now?

Reaction score
the resun ones...I was also suprised...they were the last ones I unplugged because they were new. Funny thing it it is all 3...must say though I phoned scott and he said he also found it strange but would replace them right away. Got a ring from Marco the next day to say pumps are on thee way (got the skimmer from him) I have not pulled them out to check for visible cracks or anything but will do when I take em out.

Alan is there anything we can do to test the current in the tank - I don't feel like using my self as the tester again...?

Reaction score
what do you know!!! I wonder if my replacement pumps will be the same...must be a fault.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Alan is there anything we can do to test the current in the tank - I don't feel like using my self as the tester again...?
Yip, take an electrical tester and place one probe in the aquarium and the other on an eath that is connected to house earth, you should have 0 volts or as close as dammit.

Reaction score
sory to be stupid (electronics aint my strong point) must I ask for an electrical tester at the shop? when you say house earth what do you mean?