Strawberry anemones

459b

Reaction score
Just came across this article in the journal Marine Biotechnology.
Schnitzler et al. (2008). Spectral diversity of fluorescent proteins from the Anthozoan Corynactis californica. Marin. Biotech. (10) 3: 328-342.

The top pictures shows various species of strawberry anemones under normal light. The bottom pictures are the same anemones under blue light.

strawberry.gif

i used to have a few in a small tank at work and they did really well. The tank had no heater/cooler so the average temp was no less than 22 degrees. Only problem is collecting them

i supervisor forced me to tank the tank down cause it was taking up space...i was not happy! I had them for about 5 or 6 months. This is going to sound odd, but i found them on a piece of kelp that washed up after rough seas - you would be amazed at the amount of interesting things you can find on kelp. When i took the tank down i put them back in the ocean. I had planned on feeding them bits of fish etc but i came across these tiny pink shrimp in one of my tanks at the aquarium. Im not sure what species they are but they breed really fast, do a great job of cleaning up and provided the anemonies with enough food that i didnt have to add any extra food to the tank.

Thats so cool 459. Did the shrimps also breed in that ambient temperature tank?

Can you get hold of more of those? Wonder if they would go in tropic water?

im struggling to get hold of more. They just appear in tanks at the aquarium. Fully grown they less than a cm long. They breed in all the tanks at the aquarium, which range in temp from 10 degrees to about 21. When i manage to get some more ill be happy to pass them on to someone with a warm water tank to test if they will survive.

im prob going to the aquarium tomo, if not ill go next week. I got three on monday, but i stupidly transported them home in the same container as an anemone. ill let you know when i get some.

Me...me...me :)

Thanks 459b - BTW: I can image the strawberry anemone's would wash up after the storm - just funny though that they attached to the kelp. I usually seem them attached to the wrecks I dived along the coast at Simonstown's way. The Pietermaritzburg had a LOT of them on, as did the Rockeater, and the Princess...

I cannot clearly recall seeing them attached to rock though... I have not seen any at A-Frame at Simonstown....

next to Aqua Concepts there is a dive shop and they guys are very willing to dive stuff out for us if you have the correct permits....

i was also surprised to see them attached to kelp. they occured in patches around the holdfast. Also amazed that they survived been washed ashore.

Can they get me a shyshark? how much will they charge?

Back
Top Bottom