Strangely Colored Beaches

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

5 Strangely Colored Beaches

Unless you're lucky enough to have visited some of the unique shorelines below you'll probably be used to seeing - at best - golden beaches on your travels. In fact a lot of people believe golden sands to be the only option when it comes to beaches. To prove otherwise, and to show off a few of the world's most uniquely coloured stretches of sand, we present the following selection....

*Punalu'u Beach*
Punalu'u Beach is the most visited of the few black sand beaches on Hawaii's Big Island and the stunningly black sand is actually volcanic rock, deposited as lava and subsequently cooled when met by the ocean. Apparently to take any of the sand home would result in you being cursed by a volcano goddess by the name of Pele.

28649944ce060b7c.jpg

*Papakolea** Beach*
One of only 2 green sand beaches in the world, the truly magnificent sight of Papakolea Beach can be experienced by travelling to Hawaii's Ka'u district. Again, the unique colour of its sand can be attributed to volcanic activity - specifically, the green hue belongs to the abundance of olivine crystals which have been produced as a result of a nearby cinder cone erupting and eroding.

28649944af647810.jpg

*Hyams** Beach*
You may need to wear your shades when visiting Hyams Beach in New South Wales, Australia, but not just due to the sun. It's not surprising after looking at photos but this sublime stretch of beach is home to the whitest sand in the world, an honour warded by the Guinness Book of
Records.

28649944b72ced08.jpg

*Pfeiffer** Beach*
The hills surrounding Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur, California, are rich in Manganese Garnet. A result of this being washed down onto the beach is the colour scheme you can see above - the entire stretch of sand has become a shifting, pink and purple canvas. Although it's probably inedible, I can't help picturing a bowl of Raspberry Ripple ice-cream every time I see it.

28649944be5dc712.jpg

*Kaihalulu*
You won't find many beaches elsewhere in the world with sand as red as this one. Kaihalulu, or Red Sand Beach, is situated on the island of Maui and can thank the neighbouring cindercone hill for its intensely deep red appearance.

28649944c38417a0.jpg

That is cool, thanks for sharing Shaun.

I've got sand from the West coast which my sister and her hubby brought me when they were there on holiday. Not sure which area exactly :p The sand is very fine and dence, there are also black colouring inbetween the cream colour of the sand. Apparently it's because of all the mussels in the area. It is very deserted there where they took the sand between the rocks. I used it for my DSB mixed with playsand :)

Many beaches on the west coast of New Zealand are black.

One feels like you are walking on oils soaked beaches, but the sand is very clean. It has a high iron content and does not stick to you feet like the white sands do.

I still find myself not liking sitting on it though......:lol:

I thought i'd add this, the many colours of the sands at Alum Bay, Isle of Wight, off the south coast of Britain;-

104499468389f2d4.jpg

7colours.jpg

wish we were not in the way from what i wantd to show here....
this behind us" is seven colours of the earth in chamarel mauritius on the south eastern side of the island.......
seven differant colours of sand all infuse each other and come out of nowhere in a forest type setting.

i also have green beach sand from flat island, on the eastern side of flat island the beach sand is also green there......its a ****ty walk to go and see it. and not all that spectacuar........but hey....at least i got a vause full in my lounge now....lol

Back
Top Bottom