Strange nennie bleaching

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Annoying, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey Brenda

Ok about a month ago I bought a Magnifica, knowing about it's high light and flow needs. I placed it directly under my 150w mh, an right in front of a flow pump(covered). The mh is 6400K (don't know if this could be the problem). After I had the nennie for a week, the colors were great, but then we had to go away for a week. I left someone in charge of the tank, but I think he forgot to turn my mh on for the week. When I came back the nennie was severely bleached. The nennie remained in somewhat the same spot(directly under the halide, at the most top point of my tank). I was very crossed about this, knowing the bleached nennie rate I came to MASA and searched the forums as much as I could. The nennies foot and tentacles are still very sticky (sticking to my fingers even when I'm feeding), the nennie is stuck to the rock like concrete, still very strong. I started feeding it pieces of muscle, the strange thing is it ate faster then when I first introduced him. I would search the entire tank to make sure there is no parts of muscle that he spat out. I started feeding it bigger pieces(it's a big nennie, +-30cm length,moth almost 5cm) until I started feeding complete muscles, everyday, twice but I still can't find any remains any part of the day(The flow in the tank works that all detritus will be blown to one spot). It's tentacles remain very sticky and it's opening amazingly, also the mouth is semi open during the day (Read that in magnificas this is preferred), I also enriched the food with iodide and reef trace elements. Now my question, I'm taking pics every week to make sure the nennie is recovering, but it seems that the nennie is still getting whiter. Could this be from the lights, sometimes my tank hit temps of 28 degrees C, could this be the problem?

water quality:
    ph 8.5
    Salinity 1.024
    Nitrate,nitrite,phosphate all 0

the tank has been running for more then a year now. I really don't want to loose this beautiful animal.
    here are some pics

before the vacation:
    [​IMG]

When we came back:
    [​IMG]

2 weeks after daily feedings and light cycles, maybe I'm just paranoid, but another opinion would greatly be appreciated. The nennie seems whiter...
    [​IMG]

Also another question, at night the nennie has a redish foot like shown in the pics, but during the day the foot is a greenish to brown, is this because of my yellow lights?

Also is it possible that the nennie could have bleached so quickly in a week with just 2 t5 54watt actinic and coral blue?

Thanks for the help, and please I will appreciate any advice.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

150W MH is not enough lighting for this anemone. However, because it has bleached, don’t increase the lighting yet. It will likely lead to more problems quickly.

I doubt a temp of 28 caused the problem. It is however pushing the upper limits of their temperature range. My guess is that your temperature got a bit higher while you were gone.

I would stop enriching the food. Raw meaty seafood is sufficient. It sounds like you may be feeding to big of portions. I would cut that back to about 1/4th the size of the mouth.

How much live rock do you have in the tank? I’m not seeing much in the tank that the anemone can attach itself to. Can we get a full tank picture?

Your salinity is a bit low. Anemones do best at 1.026.

Yes, lighting can play a role in changing the color of the anemone’s foot.

Is possible, but not likely. My guess is that it is a combination of things…lack of lighting, low salinity, temperature, etc.

Annoying likes this.
  4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks anemone, most of the live rock is on the bottom half of the tank. As you can see on the first pic the nennie was on a piece of a base rock. I read that magnificas like flat surfaces so I put it on as flat as possible base rock, and put that piece of rock on top of the surface you can see. The nennie just climbed of and stuck to flat surface, I placed different rocks next to it to see if it would move to that rock, but it staid there and looks like if he likes the spot. I will increase salinity, and install a fan under my mh, hopefully this will work. Will post a pic in 2 week sto see if there is any more bleaching.

5. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Hey Brenda

Ok the nennie is slowly but surely starting to recover, the tips are becoming a fluorescent yellow/green and the the tentacles are now more of an off white/beige then blinding white. Here is a pic of about 3 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Ok now about three days ago I woke up to fin a giant hole in the middle of my nennies mouth(is where his mouth is) tried to do a little research and found out it is splitting. This is probably the worst time this could have happened as it takes a lot of energy for it to split, energy it doesn't have in storage. No big changes was done to the tank and nothing stressed out the nennie, I'm guessing this split is from the whole mussel I feed him everyday. I would just like to know what should I do next, will take pics as soon as possible.

Thanks a million:thumbup:

Last edited: 11 Jul 2011
  6. Anemone

Anemone

Hi Annoying!

Wow! You’re anemone looks amazing since you posted pictures last! Excellent job!

As far as the splitting, yes, feeding can be a factor. The only thing you can do is make sure your water parameters are good. A water change NEVER hurts. Make sure all inlets are covered. Recently split anemones LOVE to find a new spot to call their own! No feeding until it has completely healed…7 – 10 days under normal circumstances.

I wouldn’t worry about the stored energy aspect. Splitting wasn’t the best possible scenario, but I don’t think you’ll lose this anemone over a split. Just keep the water parameters up to par! Also run some fresh carbon.

Definitely let me know if there is any change, good or bad!

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks Brenda!

How long does the split take normally? It has the split mouth for about 5 days now but it doesn't seem to get much bigger. I've read that sometimes the magnificas tend to get stuck and then they need help to finish the split. After how many days should I start to worry that I should help it along? The nennies is already moving around a little not much just a few centimeters left or right but +- the same place.

8. Anemone

Anemone

A split is normally over in a few hours time. Is there a possibility this anemone was injured? It sounds like you may have something other than a spit going on.

Can you get a pic of the mouth?

9. robvdv

robvdv

Tagging...

10. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I don't think that there could be a possibility, the fish only come near the nennie when it's feeding time and I haven't touched the nennie for weeks and it's way above any rock that could have landed on it. The hole is through the mouth and the foot being able to see the rock on the other side that much I know, I can't seem to get a clear shot of how it looks but here is a link of almost precisely how it looks:

Reef Central Online Community

11. Anemone

Anemone

Yikes!

Are all of your fish reef safe? Any crabs in the tank that you know of?

Hows the tissue look where the tear is?

I think after 5 days I would go ahead and finish the cut and hope for the best. I would also do a decent size water change and run some fresh carbon.

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

No crabs, I don't even have a cleanup crew if you count out all the cushion stars. All fish are reef safe, they just go after the food I give the inverts not themselves. The tissue doesn't look torn just as if it started to open to the foot like it would in a split, I think I'll finish the cut, did my homework about those. Fingers crossed:blush:

Recent Posts