Straight outta China

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Theo, 8 Jan 2017.

1. Theo

Theo

Good day everybody.

So, a couple of years ago I had a tank, and thanks to my own stupidity, listening to wrong advice and not doing proper research, the tank crashed and I sold the tank.

I am currently residing in China, in a beautiful city called Yantai. I'm going to live here for the next 6 years, so why not start again.

Take 2:

Tank: 900x500x550. Water level at 500.
    Sump: 900x500x450. Water level at 300.
    Approximate total volume: 360L
    Overflow: c2c on backpanel. durso 50mm.

Filtration:
    Skimmer: Buble Magus Curve A8(rated for 500-900L)
    Zeolite reactor: Zeovit, zeobak, zeofood, zeostart3, zeozym. Will add zeo products as needed.
    Buble Magus calcium reactor running zeocal and zeomag.

Sump setup:
    3 chamber sump:
    1st chamber: filtration sock, skimmer and pure ocean rock.
    2nd chamber: zeolite reactor with return back to skimmer chamber, filled with live rock. Led light running opposite DT light.
    3rd chamber: return dc pump rated at 3000-6000l/h, ph meter, RO top up, calcium reactor feed pump and return tubing.

Maxspect Razor led 180W light.

DT flow: Maxspect Gyre 30W.

I picked up the glass today, ordered all plumbing, silicon and misc, waiting on that.

So first question (please don't think I am stupid for asking this. I've tried to read up on it but cant seem to get the correct info. For me, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked)

The c2c overflow panels, and where to drill the hole for the durso....

I've drawn a quick sketch. The durso will be done with 50mm piping. So there is 4 "?" On the sketch. Is there anybody that have more experience on these measurements that could elaborate a bit in them?

The goal is the make the overflow as small as possible, without compromising efficiency or safety.

So on a 50mm bend:
    "?1": how far should the bend be from overflow bottom panel to be most effective?

"?2": to take up as little as possible tank real estate, what should this measurement be?

"?3": if the tank is 550mm high with the water level at 500mm, what should this measurement be?

"?4": again, with tank height 550mm and water level at 500mm, how far from the top of the tank should this hole be drilled? IMG_1948.PNG IMG_1947.JPG

r0ckf1re likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Jaun_marine

Jaun_marine

Tagging:thumbup:

4. Slaapkousie

Slaapkousie

Why not go skinny c2c in the case your anyway drilling. Have you got space behind the tank?

5. Slaapkousie

Slaapkousie

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Preserves a lot of in tank space

ScubaLover22 and Tokolosh 420 like this.
  6. OP
    Theo

Theo

IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2211.JPG Good day all.

The tank is build. Made a couple of changes to the original measurements of the DT. I've done a lot of homework on the animal bean system and decided that I want to go with this. So after setting up everything I filled the tank up with fresh water to see how it works.

Everything works fine except for a small issue, there is a constant amount of micro bubbles coming out of the siphon pipe. Ive checked all connections to make sure it is not sucking any air and all seems good. Here is a couple photos. Please note that in the pick of the overflow box there is no air being sucked in. This was just taken to show how it is set up.

Any input will be appreciated.

Dimi943 and Jenaid like this.
  7. DrBlueThumb

DrBlueThumb

Gorgeous

8. red deacon

red deacon

I would be very interested in how you acquire your livestock and what the costs are. Tank looking good :thumbup1:

9. OP
    Theo

Theo

@red deacon, the fish business is big in China. There's a awesome site called Taobao where you can buy absolutely anything and everything. Heres a cuople of photos. The liverock is sold for 3.5 yuan per 500g, that is R14 per kg. The platinum clown is apprx R350 and the bullet picaso clown is R300.
    Things are very cheap, but some also way more expensive than is SA. Normal SPS price is 50yuan, if you have a good attitude towards the owner he will send a massive one. Fish ranges from 100-200yuan. The only fish I saw above that price is a massive Sohal tang that sells for 1100 yuan. The blue tang in the pick sells for 80yuan. At R2/yuan. IMG_2213.PNG IMG_2214.PNG IMG_2215.PNG IMG_2216.PNG IMG_2217.PNG

10. red deacon

red deacon

Cheers Theo, that is very interesting, who would have thought the hobby was big in China.

11. OP
    Theo

Theo

Anyone who can give some advice on the bubbles from my siphon pipe on the bean animal?

12. Subtech

Subtech

Hi There.

I can't really make out from picture but it doesn't look you have baffle in the first chamber of your sump, this isn't necessary a problem but you then either need a baffle for your down pipes to enter or you will need to put baffle between the first and second chamber.

Hope this what you were asking or did I misunderstand?

13. Subtech

Subtech

for now play with the flow a bit, try increasing the height in your overflow. Blank off the other pipes while doing this if they prevent you from increasing your water level in the overflow box

14. Subtech

Subtech

If you increase the water level in the over flow and seal off the air that can enter the durso then you in effect create a siphon and all the bubble will go away.

Please watch this video

15. OP
    Theo

Theo

IMG_2384.JPG Good day all. I've set up the tank.
    Still got some tidying up to do. So taday I found my Ca reactor leaking, fixed it and used a towel to dry the floor. I was standing on the wet towel barefoot and put my hands in the sump, felt some stray electricity. I started one by one unplugging every pump and found 2 major culprits. One is my tank ph probe, the other the sicce pump feeding the zeovit reactor. After unplugging these I still felt some stray. Started to unplug everything one by one again, and still felt it. I've been reading up on ground probes, and it is truly confusing how many people are for them and how many against them. Please help me. I can send the pump back, but that means there will be no water flow through the zeovit and I might lose the bacteria population in it. Should I send it back or get a ground probe??? (Will post better picks soon)

Please please help. @RiaanP

16. JS

JS

Ground it....i will never run a tank again without it. I use the little reef octo titanium probe....

RiaanP likes this.
  17. Dexter

Dexter

just look here on masa how to make your own ground probe. can make them from welding rods. sorry tried looking for the thread but cant find it now.

18. Dexter

Dexter

19. OP
    Theo

Theo

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. It's already 8:30pm here so I'll only be able to do this tomorrow. Will do this and give feedback. I'm glad I don't have to send back the pump.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yeah, I will ground it.
    Better safe than sorry.

As far as I understand it, those against use the argument that the voltage would lead to chemical reactions changing the water chemistry. Yes that is true, but at a much higher voltage than what would trip the house earth leakage.

A bit of stray, like 2 to 8V is nothing. Pumps inside the water and the electrical fields generated by them will give a bit, but too low to trip the house.

21. OP
    Theo

Theo

IMG_2394.JPG Works like a charm.

Dexter likes this.

Recent Posts