Storing RO water

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by cassie1, 24 Jan 2011.

1. cassie1

cassie1

What about normal RO water. For how long can you keep it in a contaigner before it goes off?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I'm not an RO expert, but I don't think something can go off if there is nothing in it to go off :p
    If the container is sealed properly so that nothing can get in and you keep it out of the sun, then I don't think anything can happen to it.

Maybe @The Waterboy - Marco can explain or give input?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

RO water is very quickly contaminated with irons from the atmosphere. It must be kept in a dark sealed container. There is also a thread somewhere on the issue.

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I would say rather use fresh water. Leaving water standing around for even a day in a sealed container in the dark could still lead to problems in the future. I am no expert on water but logic says fresh is best :thumbup:

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

So you're saying a compartment next to a sump containing RO used for auto top up is unsafe as it stays in there for sometimes a week depending on the size and the amount of evaporation?

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Let me add a little more about RO water. Due to the process the water goes through the PH of the water is often slightly acidic due to the excess in dissolved CO2. It is this CO2 that makes the RO water very aggressive by attracting irons. These irons come from the atmosphere and any surface the water meets. This is why RO water needs to be stored in sealed airtight inert containers. The container does not necessarily need to be dark but light will start a bacterial growth normally Algae.

@Tobes it is recommended to have a lid on the top off tank to reduce the RO water contamination. Open tanks used as reservoirs are not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Of course, sorry, forgot to add. I always had mine covered. Thanks for the correction.

But in this case ShaunSwindon said in a sealed container it will still lead to problems, which I dissagree with as I always kept mine covered with glass (not 100% airtight sealed) and in all my marine keeping life have I never had any issues regarding that :)

9. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Um.....yes that is what I am saying in my humble opinion but as I say I am no expert on water conditions.

As far as I know RO water attracts elements into it the same as a high pressure system would attract a low pressure system in weather phenomenons. Therefore if your compartment is airtight you will be safe but if it is not then elements from the air might enter the water and contaminate it.

Listen mate like I said I am no expert but would you drink water that's been standing for over a week? If your answer is no which I assume it will be then why would you put that same water into your beautiful reef tank and run the risk of causing unnecessary damage? This is merely my opinion and I am more than likely wrong so please be gentle :thumbup:

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I do, regularly, and I'm still here. :biggrin: I buy a case of bottled water every month and some of those bottles stand in the cupboard for 2 or 3 weeks until they get consumed, some of the bottled water is just RO water anyway, or pretty damn close to it. I also have a bottle of tap water in the fridge that sits for days and sometimes probably a week or so without getting drank, I just did a head count and we're all still here. :)

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

u learned to count :slayer:

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

oh boy....
    i make RO water about twice a month. I store it in airtight, dark containers and add to the auto top up as needed. Never had any issues. Provided the container is clean and doesnt leech anything into the water, then i dont see any reason why you cant store it for a while.

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

@ShaunSwindon

The thing is that most big systems have a RO compartment used for auto top ups. I always had mine covered with a glass lid. Some systems evaporate 25 litres per day, hence the top up chamber. Some chambers are part of the sump, eg a glass compartment. Mine was never airtight, never, and I never had any issues.
    On a nano like you had, no problem as you do manual top ups, but if you had a big system, would you top up 25litres every day of your life while having the tank? So we don't have a choice to keep RO for a few days in the top up chamber, we just need to keep it clean.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2011
  14. Tombee

Tombee

I find this too FUNNY! I'm happy to drink water that's been standing for a while, and i'm still alive. And my fish haven't died yet either...bonus! :)

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Dude, a whole new world is opening up to me, next week I'm going to learn how to tie my shoelaces, there's just no stopping me.

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

WOW thats amazing!! u gotta let me know when its the ABC's

17. cassie1

cassie1 Thread Starter

:rofl:you guys are funny :lol:

18. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Yay I am in the positive again for reputation :mbounce:

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

I can always change that :p

20. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Funny dude but I was being sarcastic ;)

21. rakabos

rakabos

I have a 50L RO container in my garage feeding my tank via a tube through the roof into the tank in the living room. I use it for top-ups and it sits for upto a week in the container. Every weekend i make a fresh batch of RO. I have seen absolutely no ill effects ever, so yeah in practical terms the RO can stay in a container for a while. The maximum TDS reading i ever had was 7 in the container

Recent Posts