storing prepared water

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Jusman18, 24 Aug 2010.

1. Jusman18

Jusman18

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has alraedy been asked, but I was wondering about the storage of salt water or RO water.

I like to buy my water from a LFS and sometimes I dont use all of it, especially if it is a top up,. I like to buy a standard of 25 litres per week and if I am only toppnig up 15 litres after a water change, how long can I store the remaining water for and what conditions should it be stored in? Out of light? direct sun etc?

If this is possible, I would then like to store RO water as well, to assist with day to day top ups if need be.

Will the stored water eventually develop a bactria that could affect my water parameters?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

RO water

RO water will quickly attract irons/impurities from the atmosphere. It will also grow algae if subjected to light. Best to store in a in a cool darkish sealed black container. The near clear containers are OK for limited time. Say 2 weeks or so.

Mixed synthetic salt mixes are OK to keep for long periods. BUT before use it must be aerated and vigorously stirred. Also best to keep in a dark cool area out of light.

JIX your containers every few months and a bacterial issue will be extremely unlikely.

The above is considering you do not plan to keep water for 3 or more months.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Saltwater, just have a small pump in there that circulates it. Will help and keep it OK.

5. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Thank you Nemos and Riaan,

I plan on changing the water with new water every week, but would like to keep some RO for top up and some salt water in case I need to do an emergency change.

I wont keep it for more than a week at a time, so do you think I should still airate it?

At the moment, I have the water in 25litre sealed containers stored in a cupboard.

Thanks again

Recent Posts