Storing NSW

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 13 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

How long can you keep nsw for, keeping it cool and in the shade, I collect 500ls at a time, and then change 100 every week, usually use it in a month, could you keep it longer than that though?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. frankie fish

frankie fish

i guess that for as long as it's aerated,circulating and skimmed, it would be good for some time, say 500l for a month? you do skim the nsw before you add it?

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I have a 100L+ bin that I keep aerated and circulating with a pool pump which I top up when it starts getting low. It must sit for over a month because I only do about 20L water changes every 1 to 2 weeks.

IMO I don't think you have to skim it at all, I don't think some ppl even aerate their NSW, but if you not going to its best to leave it for a few weeks to let the die off settle.

5. frankie fish

frankie fish

True,but i just think it will be better to skim,aerate and circulate nsw,my 2c.lol.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Seun. Use NSW as soon as possible ie. not more than 2 hours after collecting.
    If the water is not used up, there will be die off. Now in this case, store that drum of water in a cool shaded area for about a month, then use. When using this water, leave the last 5-10cm of water as this is where all the die off settles.

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

if you read old aquarium books, they actually recommend storing NSW for at least six weeks before using. It apparently allows time for die off and the dead stuff to settle. Though i think using it fresh has far more benifits.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Yip i have also read that somewhere bud. But from what I have noticed, do a water change using fresh NSW and look at your LPS especially your meaty corals eg. Brains. They tend to plump up and look so full.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

agree with using fresh NSW, had some interesting life appear after using it.

10. frankie fish

frankie fish

True,but what about the enormous amount of plankton,bacteria and not to mention the pollution in the ocean,would the filter not be sufficient in taking out all the "baddies"? It's still nice to use nsw,it's a HUGE saving. My father and brother use nsw,without any ill effects thus far.

Recent Posts