Stony Corals Trade ban alert

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
i should not damage the trade.

if he corals are "captive breed" propagated in a tank for sale.

the same problem came with Brachypelma smithi- the red knee tarantula, that i have.

they can't catch more from the 'wild' to introduce new genes. nor export without permission from both countries. (country from and too).

however there are no restrictions on the captive bred pet trade. the price will elevate or diminish due to stock reserves.

I had better buy a frag of the branching hammer I sold you a while ago before they are banned. But surely this wont apply to aquacultured corals?

it does, i read it further, it will require CITIES permits etc even for frag swaps

I'd love to see how they're going to police that on a local level. We're going to have frag dealers in dark alleys all over the show

here it wont work, but having lived in the states, it will be...
over there, there is respect for the law

Fantastic news... Disappointing to hear about the restrictions on the aquaculture trade. Although unfortunately that is CITES biggest loophole. falsely selling wild caught or harvested species as aquaculture specimens by forging certificates etc. I suspect that is why they are clamping down on aquaculture trade as well. I certainly believe that our leisure enjoyment is secondary to the survival of these species in the wild...

Not sure how this effects us though as it says they want to ban the collection of certain corals in America not other countries. Nobody brings in corals from America anyway. :)

That´s exactly the point. Nothing leaves the states and nothing comes in.
Does not effect us at all!

more for sa :p

I reckon, if the states close their borders for stony corals, the prices will come down all over. The american market is the biggest market in the world.
Considering, the demand for ocellaris worldwide is roughly 50.000 fish per month, the US market takes 30.000 per month.
The coral collectors will collect the same amount of corals, but the demand is not even half. So the prices have to come down.
In my opinion, it does not make sense to ban them, because there will be no environmental impact, except along the american coastline.
It would be more important to convice the people in coutries where the corals get collected, to do more or only coral farming in the ocean. Easy to do and much easier to collect. Growing frags on a tray or diving down and breaking the reefs, that´s a big difference.

Lucky fish either you'll be right with the prices dropping or the pet shops will make even bigger profits charging the same prices

Lucky fish either you'll be right with the prices dropping or the pet shops will make even bigger profits charging the same prices

The LFS can't make a bigger profit! If the price stays the same, the demand will be the same as is right now. By loosing the US market, the buyer has to afford 4 stony corals instead of the 2 he would buy. If you go to your LFS, and you are planning to spend 1000 bucks, usually you would get 2 corals. Only if you will get 4 for the amount, the demand will be almost the same. Makes sense hey?

I reckon, if the states close their borders for stony corals, the prices will come down all over. The american market is the biggest market in the world.
Considering, the demand for ocellaris worldwide is roughly 50.000 fish per month, the US market takes 30.000 per month.
The coral collectors will collect the same amount of corals, but the demand is not even half. So the prices have to come down.
In my opinion, it does not make sense to ban them, because there will be no environmental impact, except along the american coastline.
It would be more important to convice the people in coutries where the corals get collected, to do more or only coral farming in the ocean. Easy to do and much easier to collect. Growing frags on a tray or diving down and breaking the reefs, that´s a big difference.

Hi LuckyFish

Yes prices will have to come down, the only problem in SA is that freight constitute +- 50% of the landed costs, so a 50% cut in supplier prices will lead to only 75% price cut.
BUT
We will take any price cutting coming our way:p

Regarding Tony's comment.
I am sure that if we (PET STOP) and others cut our prices the rest of the market will have to follow or they will not be able to sell their livestock!!!

That is something we @ Pet Stop are thinking off and experimenting with:
IF WE CUT OUR MARKUPS:
  • Would our sales escalate at the same rate we cut our prices?
  • Would sales exceed the rate cut?
  • Would sales stay about the same?
Before you answer this for yourself, think carefully!

Little of the tread sorry:(

That is something we @ Pet Stop are thinking off and experimenting with:
IF WE CUT OUR MARKUPS:
  • Would our sales escalate at the same rate we cut our prices?
  • Would sales exceed the rate cut?
  • Would sales stay about the same?
Before you answer this for yourself, think carefully!

Little of the tread sorry:(

Interesting and very difficult to answer. Thanks for the bump, I almost forgot that I have to ggogle something for you.;)

Back
Top Bottom