stocking advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mupwi, 2 Sep 2011.

1. mupwi

mupwi

Hi I am looking at restocking my tank as I used to have a small shoal of thornfish (bad idea) who started off small like 15mm and ended up eating all there tankmates and eventualy each other.
    So this time around I whant to get it right so I'm asking the experts first. I have a 4ft tank with 3ft sump.
    I was thinking of having maby one convict sergon and a few goldies and cromis and some corals are these all compatable if so how many of each could I have in this tank and what order should I introduce them.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete

Pete

sorry was not supposed to post

Last edited: 2 Sep 2011
  4. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

after doing some reading (probably should have done that first) and have found out that at least the goldies and chromis are quite compatible and reef safe now just down to numbers and what order to put them in I know putting like 5 of each in at one time would just be too much shock to the bio load of the tank but I have also read that it can be a problem introducing fish at different times as they wont play nice with the newcomer.

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Would be keen to see a pic of a thornfish?
    Dont know this common name.

6. Hermanus

Hermanus

Me to

7. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ill try take a pic tonight its not something that anyone would normally keep in a tank but are apparently often caught by anglers at around 25-30cm the one remaining in my tank which will have to go before restocking is around 6cm now I witnessed it rip a small flag tail in 2 the one day not cool

8. Hermanus

Hermanus

Did you take the pic?

9. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

tried but it just wont stand still long enough to get anything but the blurriest pic took one of the pic in my fish book though will post it once I have had my morning coffee and get the cables out

10. hermie

hermie

Those thornfish are mean little things! I hate it when you catch them while fishing and then have to avoid their spines when taking the hook out! I've lost blood on a few occasions.
    About stocking, I've heard it said that you should add all your chromis at once and they should be the same size otherwise they will pick on the 'weaklings'.
    Also, odd numbers are best for shoaling.
    Good luck with a more peaceful fish environment ;)

11. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ja I felt the spines once rescuing one from the overflow I figured next time you can stay there :) so the only 2 questions remain are how may of each and what order
    I have read that chromis should be in odd numbers 3,5,7, ect does the same aply to goldies was thinking 5 of each but am concerned this be too much bioload

12. hermie

hermie

I'm not sure on stocking numbers since I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will comment too? But I suppose it will also depend on what skimmer and filtration system you have (DSB and macroalgae etc).
    Make sure you take out those thornfish first though before putting anything else in :)

13. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

14. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

good point hermiI have a about 40kg of good porus liverock 30kg in display the rest in the sump and run a jebo skimer I think its the 180 cant remember off hand which is diald in nicely now skiming about a cup of dark skimmate every day I also have a powerhead in the sump runing carbon and filter floss and a bag of nitratR in the overflow and one hanging in front of the skimmer outlet not convinced that is doing anything yet I had an ats runing but is shutdown for the meantime as it started spreaying water all over my lounge carpet last time I was away on a business trip need to fix that I am ploting a dsb but not sure when that will happen. I normaly do a 10% weekly water change and 20% if im feeling strong

Recent Posts