still worriedI

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 24 Sep 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

How long can i keep the nori in the tank before Ihave to take it out or should i just leave it on the rock ive put it on.It looks like the lipstick is feeding on the pods and other critters in tank.Is it possible that it gets enough food that its not intereseted in the food i give it?Its not looking thin it still have a fat "tummy" area

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Its possible that the tang wont even look at the nori.. Its best to get them eating noori in quarantine. If you get another tang, get it eating noori in quarantine, so when its in the DT and eating noori, the naso will learn from the new tang..

Dont keep noori in the tank for more that a few hours.. Like 2hours.. When you see it falling apart then take it out

4. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

Im also giving it the pellets but it does not seem intersted in it can it be that it gets enough food from the pod and stuff it eat in the tank

5. jacoc

jacoc

did you see it eating at the lfs you got it from...how old is your tank?

Last edited: 24 Sep 2011
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

See the problem is that the fish probably doesnt know that the pellets are food, for its going for what it knows.. What are the other fish eating? Fish learn from other fish

7. Amoré

Amoré

I have 2 yellow tangs, the one eats everything and the other one only eats brine and nori, no flakes or pellets.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

My regal and purple eat everything besides noori lol

9. Mc

Mc

What does nori do to the water if left in too long?

10. johannes rall

I ask the guy at the lfs if its eating and he vshowed me that its eating the first two days he went crazy with the pellets but there after could not see if its eating.How long will it take to show that its not getting any food.Its still swimming around and is still fat around the tummy

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Its worrying that you say it was eating for two days when you got it and now its not...that is not normal behaviour. If it hasnt eaten at all since you got it it may still be getting used to prepared foods so not too worrying...how are you feeding the Nori? Attaching it to a rock or using a veggie clip? Try the rock first as this is more natural looking and a veggie clip stuck to the glass may be putting the fish off. Also try dosing your flakes/pellets/nori with garlic I firmly believe this helps fish to get interested in a food source and once it figures out that its food you should be fine...tangs arent usually problem eaters.

How old is the tank? Have you seen the fish pecking at the rock work or glass etc? It may be getting a bit of food this way in the mean time.

I wouldnt leave the nori in too long...that being said I probably leave a piece in for an entire day, but it would all depend on the size of the tank and skimmer as to how much waste it leaves in the system...its the same as if you over fed your fish and the excess flakes and pellets lay at the bottom of the tank to decay.

12. johannes rall

Ive got two chromis with it in tank and Isaw it darting to things in the water like the chromis do.All of them will just "hang" around in the curent in tank and grab things in the water.I think pods because there was thousands of them in tank.The tank finished its cycle about a week back so theres alot of pods and stuff in tank.Can that be why I dont see it eating the pellets or nori and I attaching it to a rock

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Pods dont sit in the water column...will be found along the substrate or in the rockwork...they mainly come out at night...check your tank a few hours after lights out with a torch and u will see stuff scurrying around. :)

I dont think any amount of pods and micro algae would substitute a tangs diet enough for it not to want to eat the flakes or nori...I think its more of an issue it doesnt know what they are yet or there is something more sinister afoot.

Recent Posts