Sticking Coral frags with "new" plastic

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by PeterL, 25 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

Here is a product I found the other day which works like a bomb (Builders Warehouse - R39), it is in a granular form and you can use as few or as many granuals as required. Stick them in a bowl of hot water to make them maluable - becomes like prestic. You have to be 100% sure where you are sticking your frag onto your rock because the moment this stuff gets cold it solidifies rock hard.

Here is an experiment I did with two small pieces of rock and they might as well have been one piece because I can't separate them now, brilliant for sticking frags to rock because the frag is out of the water for a maximum of 15sec whilst you position it on the desired rock. Then putting it all into place and it is rock solid by the time you have positioned it because the advantage of the cooler water sets the product instantly - to toxic release, no sumping your frag for it to set. It is like just using prestic but instead of staying "squishy", this stuff becomes a permentant holding.

Check it out...

Front of packaging
    [​IMG]

Rear side of packaging
    [​IMG]

Waiting for kettel to boil - see size of the ganuals next to a tea spoon
    [​IMG]

Size of rocks used in experiment
    [​IMG]

the 3 granuals joined and rocks stuck together almost instantly
    [​IMG]

The rocks turned upright simulating position in tank, granular product small enough that is isn't visable one applied.
    [​IMG]

I think this could well be the alternative to using toxic supre glue and other epoxy and putties and gell glues - zero toxins released into the water and placed immediately...I think this stuff is brilliant for sticking frags.

Dane likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

What's the toxisity? And where do you buy it?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Dude, ZERO...It is like putting piece of plastic into the tank - like a brand new plastic spoon. How much toxins does that release? Same thing basically.

When you put the hot water into the glass bowl, I also expected to see maybe an oily fily to show toxin release, but nothing. The hard plastic pellets just became soft and malluable, then rock hard again - all the while, not releasing any smell or any signs whatsoever of releasing anything.

I figured because you got to use hot water to soften it up, you would see something in the water revealing something. More so than one would notice in a cold water environment

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

Great info. Thanks.

7. Dane

Dane

Awesome stuff! Well done! :) Beats the pants of pratleys!

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

well done on the find!

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sweet thanx zombie

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds very good for sticking LR together. I am however a bit concerned about corals due to the heat of the glue. Will it not damage/kill the coral?

11. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Mekaeel, I also had this concern but considering the toxin release of of super glue and the "heat" that it also gives on contact. Remember that this stuff stays hot for maybe 5seconds so you have to work fast, even in contact with air is starts cooling off so you can play when you work with this stuff.

By the time you have pressed teh coral to the rock, as in my experiment with 2 rocks, I would have liked to have pressed it together a little more but it was already hard. With most corals, don't they have a small piece of rock of sorts attached to them so you wouldn't "glue" the actual coral, but more the thing the coral is attached to.

If you are attaching mushrooms and those sort of thing, you woun't use any form of glue as it would "burn" the coral surely.

IMO, super glue would burn more than this stuff because of the speed in which it cools down.

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nice find.

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I think I will run an experiment with some zoanthids. I have 2 little heads which have decided to separate themselves from the crowed so I will give it a go and then follow up and let you know how they react, if it burns them or they show no reaction other than being permenantly fixed to a rock.

The best part about this stuff is that you don't need to dry anything, just take the malluable plastic and put it where you want it - it has to go into hot water to get it soft in the first place - no point drying the items to stick together...The cold water on them I might guess will help distribute what little heat may get to the coral and also speed the cooling (as if around 3 or 4 seconds is not fast enough cooling time already ;))

14. maj

maj

Great find,as i really dont like keeping corals long out of the water!
    and well priced too

15. vatso

vatso

can this be put in the things to buy post

thanks sounds awsome

16. Mekaeel

Makes sense dude. I honestly think, that immediate contact (sudden heat) will kill the base of the coral. In the case of SPS frags, the base will die off and thus prevent the coral from encrusting.
    Super glue doesnt release a lot of toxins bro, thats why it is safe enough to use on a wound and stick your skin back together.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
  17. Boegie

Boegie

Excellent!!

18. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

ZC, lets say you have a frag on a plug you want to stick at the bottom of your reef.... how long do you have from the moment it hits the first piecs of rock until the plastic is completely hard?? seems like an awesome product but hell if you have 5 seconds eish .......

I share Meks concerns about the heat though i would stick to superglue for sps to rock and then try this method for rock on rock ! just my 2c tho

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

You work with it like you would with prestic - count the time, 5 seconds should be long enough to pick something up, put the plastic on sone side, pick the second thing up and put them togther then begin to lower back into the tank into place, once you have things in place then it is set.

There are definate disadvantages in that you can't work with it under water because it hardens right away, but to apply the other glues you need to take the rocks and corals out of the water and completely dry them for proper adhesion too.I figured this product to reduce the time out of the water and you don't dry anything, used wet.

In the case where direct contact to the coral happens I agree that the spot heat may not be good at all, this would be an unknown until an experiment has been taken.

There are pro's and cons regardless what product we use, there are super glues and gell glues and putties and who knows how many products - when it comes time to get direct contact with the coral o glue, I will look for a product which is the least harmful. For my purpose right now which was attaching zoanthids, it seems to do what I need it to.

20. Mekaeel

Dude, let me know how the results are with the Zoas and other corals. In the mean time, I will see if I can get hold of some, and conduct an experiment with SPS :)

21. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Instead of buying some, I can just pop some in the mail for you from what I have. Really, what else are you going to use malluable plastic for?? I don't mind sending some for the sakes of the experiment

Recent Posts