Steve's Ocean

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by Fishy Steve, 12 Apr 2011.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Ok, I went to look at a tank tonight, and have decided to go for it.

Dimensions are 1500 x 680 x 1100 out of 19mm glass. With a water height of 1m the volume of the display should be just over 1000L:thumbup:

The sump will make it another 100-150 liters more but haven't had the chance to measure compartments yet so I'm unsure.

The tank comes with a super sturdy 40mm steel tube stand and the water height once on the stand is about eye level.

The tank, sump and stand are getting cleaned up and I will take delivery in 2-3 weeks, just depends on when I can get things ready on my side. Need to set up a temp tank so I can move over my current fish and get the big boy set up in the same place as the old tank.

I am planning a predator/fish only tank. If the coral bug bites again I have a nice little nano to use.

Equipment

Heating:
    Two, maybe three Jaeger heaters.

Flow:
    1 Seio 3200lph
    1 Sunsun 6000lph
    1 Sunsun 5000lph
    1 Sunsun 3000lph
    Might need some more

Skimmer:
    I will be using my current TS1 and a weipro to start with. (Will not introduce any more fish until I get a real one)

Return:
    Current Lifetech for now. Trying to decide on which big pump to get that will not rape my electricity bill.

Lighting:
    Current dymax 2 X 250w mh unit (So if I really want corals won't have a problem there) plus a little Rio mini sun for night time.

Sump:
    DSB with some macro algae. Won't go for a scrubber just yet. Don't need nutrients that low. Depending on the tank inhabitants later on I might need one but it can be added later.

Water I will be getting from two oceans. I will start with a 10% change a week.

I am sooooooo excited.

If I have missed anything let me know but I will have someone experienced during setup so anything I miss will be caught by him.

It's been a dream of mine to have a tank like this and it's here but now the work starts.:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds like your going to enjoy this tank.... now

:lookhere:

POST SOME PICS!!!!

:lol:

4. SIMS

SIMS

thats quite a deep tank...hope you have long arms :p

5. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

A very quick comment is your tank depth. In my opinion it is too deep. Light penetration is going to be troublesome, and not even talming about working at he bottom of the tank. Sounds like a nice system, but i would rethink the dimensions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ciao!

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Wow awesome size tank that man, 2will be awesome, heres my input:

With a water height of 1m
    Make sure u buy a good quality set of water goggles cos u will be diving in

The sump will make it another 100-150 liters more but haven't had the chance to measure compartments yet so I'm unsure.
    Um that sump will really not cut it, what you intend having in there? I would expect a sump of at least 300 - 350L

I am planning a predator/fish only tank.
    Yup will be awesome

Two, maybe three Jaeger heaters.
    I would say 3 to 5 at least

Flow:
    1 Seio 3200lph
    1 Sunsun 6000lph
    1 Sunsun 5000lph
    1 Sunsun 3000lph
    Might need some more
    You will need some more I suggest a couple of 12 000 sun suns at least 3 or 4 remember your tank is really high I have 3* 12000 in my 450L tank

Skimmer:
    I will be using my current TS1 and a weipro to start with. (Will not introduce any more fish until I get a real one)
    Yup real one at least a minimum of a TS4 or DNW 250 and if you have the budget get a Bubble blaster 5000

Return:
    Current Lifetech for now. Trying to decide on which big pump to get that will not rape my electricity bill.
    There are some great reeflow or water blaster pumps u can look at very pricey though

Lighting:
    Current dymax 2 X 250w mh unit (So if I really want corals won't have a problem there) plus a little Rio mini sun for night time.

Will be awesome

Sump:
    DSB with some macro algae. Won't go for a scrubber just yet. Don't need nutrients that low. Depending on the tank inhabitants later on I might need one but it can be added later.

1stly increase the size of your sump. I would scrap the DSb and rather have a HUGE forest of Marco algea will be great for water quality as well as micro life

Water I will be getting from two oceans. I will start with a 10% change a week.
    Great stuff

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How long is your arms? Goggles (as suggested) is a must, plus a snorkel.
    Well, fish only system, it would look stunning. Liverock stack placed once. Thereafter you will never be able to redo the scaping without at least draining top 300mm water Maybe even more.

Soft corals like pincushions should do good. Also leathers. Even Mushrooms.

Why worried about your return pump wattage if you want to use 500W lights on a fish only system? unless you really are going for some corals.

Flow, should be ok for fish only, but it is a bit low. Will not keep detritus in suspension until it goes down the overflow.

Sump sound way tooooo small. Only 150L On this system you easily could use a sump that is 1400 by 600 and between 300 and 400 deep. That is a lot of extra water.
    First chamber about 300, return about 200, so that would leave you with a monster 900 by 600 DSB. Very nice. But then your return pumps must be above 4000L/h, more between 5 to 6000 or else the flow is too slow over the DSB. Due to the width.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have a solution if you think the tank is go deep ;) just do a Display tank DSB can make it 40cm deep and still have 70cm to play with :lol:

9. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

Light penetration is not an issue as it will more than likely be a predator tank as stated and if I do go into corals with 2 x 250 mh's I'm sure I could put some low light corals towards the bottom and all the light hungry ones middle to top.:)

Re-thinking dimensions would mean breaking the tank up, cutting and rebuilding. Not willing to do that. I am willing to live with the added hassle of a deep tank because it looks awesome:yeahdude:

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I know, Deep tanks is better on the eyes. We humans do not see with slanted eyes.... (ok most in SA)

11. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Awesome! Now let the pics role in.

12. Fishy Steve

Response's in blue

Thanks for taking the time to go though it all:thumbup:

13. Fishy Steve

@RIAAN
    Why worried about your return pump wattage if you want to use 500W lights on a fish only system? unless you really are going for some corals.
    LOL, Good point. I already have the light unit so was planning on using it. I will only run the mh lights for about 5 hours a day while I can see the tank but using say 100w extra for 24hours on a return pump I can at least save a little there. Well with eishkoms prices a bit more than a little and buy more liverock. Something I didn't mention. To start I will use the +-20kg liverock I have + I will buy some baserock when setting up. I will stick it all down tight so nothing falls. Otherwise out comes the goggles.:lol:

Flow, should be ok for fish only, but it is a bit low. Will not keep detritus in suspension until it goes down the overflow.
    Will get more

Sump sound way tooooo small. Only 150L On this system you easily could use a sump that is 1400 by 600 and between 300 and 400 deep. That is a lot of extra water.
    First chamber about 300, return about 200, so that would leave you with a monster 900 by 600 DSB. Very nice. But then your return pumps must be above 4000L/h, more between 5 to 6000 or else the flow is too slow over the DSB. Due to the width.
    Check my previous post, I kinda undersold the sump, it's big but not sure actual water volume. I will have the biggest dsb possible. I have 100kg's of sand I will wash from my current tank.

To the guys asking for pics. Hold your horses:49: Got no pics now. Will take pics next time:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Fishy Steve

Another thing on the to buy list is a magnet cleaner that can handle 19mm. I see the good quality ones fetch a nice price. But I suppose a good one will last.

15. Fishy Steve

OK I got the new tank half set up. The tank and stand are in place. It will need to be moved slightly to get the sump in. We still need to put the plumbing in place and I need to go get butterfly bolts to secure the light fitting to the ceiling.

Please before you comment. I would like to point out that I am aware of the following:
    1. The tank + stand are rediculously high
    2. Reaching the bottom is gonna be near imposible without goggles and a snorkel.
    3. There is very little space from the tank to the ceiling (+- 60cm).

Not tryna be cocky just that I was sufficiently pissed off already and have come to grips with it and don't wanna hear a whole lotta people saying how difficult it's gonna be I know it will. :blush:

Most of this is due to the fact I was told the tank is high but the stand is low. As you can clearly see the stand is not low, its not medium height, it is f-ing high. But so it goes. I was a bit pissed but it has been standing in place for 3 days and the presence it gives is amazing and it is still empty. Imagine with water in. So I am willing to suffer the consequences of the height.

Things that have changed due to tank height is I need a big daddy return so I am getting a lifetech 5800 12000lph. I hear it vibrates a lot and uses quite a bit of electricity but it is necessary now and a higher ladder. :p

I will be attampting to make an artificial liverock DIY centre piece otherwise the tank is gonna bankrupt me trying to fill with the real stuff. I have +- what seems like 30kg liverock currently but I will need at least 2 or 3 times more. This will be a slow process, but I plan on cycling for a loooong time and just add as I find nice pieces when I can afford it. Getting pieces in place after setup is another story. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Maybe someone can lend me some scuba gear:)

Enough Chit Chat, here's my baby

[​IMG]

The pump I can get for really cheap, is there anyone that can give me a good reason not to get it with an alternative pump in mind. Don't wanna spend much more than a grand?

BTW we only drank after we finished with the tank so there were no idiotic moments:1:

16. gaboon

gaboon

Geez thats high:p

Sorry couldn't help myself... will be very impressive when stocked!

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

WOW! that is 1 awesome tank. I would suggest about 2 boxes base reef rock with the rock that you currently have, should be able to do some nice scaping plus it would become alive after a while.

18. Fishy Steve

Hopefully will be impressive. Still deciding on what stock but ATM thinking about, eel (Undecided on which one), Trigger or Lion (Dont wanna chance the trigger going ape with the lion so won't try mixing the two) and a panther grouper.

Fish suggestions are welcome. I am not too clued up with predators

19. gaboon

gaboon

What about some large angels?

20. Fishy Steve

Definately want one but can't for the life of me decide. They are all so beautiful but I wanna get one that gives little hassles

21. Brandon WJ

Brandon WJ

Hey Fishy Steve
    Great tank, my tank has the following dimensions:
    1800 Length
    700 deep
    1200 High

All glass 19mm thick.
    You should come take a look sometime.

Recent Posts