Steve's New 200L with DSB

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread for the new tank. I want to start off right. Slow, steady and properly.

The tank is sitting on a cherry-wood cabinet. It is 90X48X48. It has a c2c (if c2c means corner 2 corner?) overflow with all the PVC and joints needed for the plumbing all thanks to JCC(his cube is cool).

Now here is where I need the advice from all the clever people out there.
The cabinet has enough floor space for a sump of 80cm x 45cm max. Which I think for a tank this size is pretty big but what I know is :asshole:.

Question 1: What height should I have the sump made?

Question 2: I want a DSB and possibly a fuge if it's worth the space?

Question 3: How many compartments? I know I need one for the skimmer in compartment 1 and the last compartment for the return.

Question 4: Taking into consideration I want the biggest DSB possible and space for a phosphate reactor how big should I make the compartments?

Question 5: Is a phosphate reactor worth the cash? If so how does it work, what goes in it and which compartment should it be in?

Question 6: I have two weipro skimmers. Should I use them and get the phosphate reactor or should I get a "real" skimmer to start with and wait to get the phosphate reactor when I have the cash?

Question 7: Is aragonite worth the money over playsand? I don't wanna have to change at a later stage.

Any other input will be appreciated.

I haven't measured the two outlets but when I do I will be asking how powerful the return pump must be. And what is all this about the overflow being noisy? Is it and if so how do I prevent it?

I know it's a lot to chew through but there is probably someone out there that loves this kinda thing.

Thanx in advance.

Steven:wave2:

43448ac94aa4fefc.jpg

It's the one on the left.

Just measured my outlets. I have 2 x 1.8cm. How much water flow can they handle?

[JB]
not more than 600mm

[JB] YES - definitely - but you can have your fuge ABOVE the DSB - saving space

Question 3: How many compartments? I know I need one for the skimmer in compartment 1 and the last compartment for the return.
[JB] 3 - 1st one for skimmer, 2nd one for DSB/Fuge, 3rd one for heater, reactors, and return pump...

Question 4: Taking into consideration I want the biggest DSB possible and space for a phosphate reactor how big should I make the compartments?
[JB] The DSB should be the biggest... the 1st compartment just big enough for the skimmer/s... last compartment just big enough for return pump, chemical filtration, heater and pump for phosphate reactor...

Question 5: Is a phosphate reactor worth the cash? If so how does it work, what goes in it and which compartment should it be in?
[JB] YES - get a fluidised bed filter, +-R350-R400...

Question 6: I have two weipro skimmers. Should I use them and get the phosphate reactor or should I get a "real" skimmer to start with and wait to get the phosphate reactor when I have the cash?
[JB] Could possibly work - BUT a ReefTek TS2 would be FAR FAR better

Question 7: Is aragonite worth the money over playsand? I don't wanna have to change at a later stage.
[JB] in my opinion - no. Others will differ....

BTW: 3200 litres/hour MAXIMUM for BOTH outlets....

Phos reactor isn't worth the cash at all unless it's filled with media. Just DIY one by taking an empty bottle of some sort and cutting a hole in the lid and sticking a tube in all the way to the bottom. Either cut another hole in the lid and put some mesh/sponge over it or drill/poke lots of tiny holes for the water to flow out of. Rather get a skimmer R350-400 "better".

Thanks for the help. Just one more question for now. I have a canister filter, If I fill it with Activated carbon and phosphate remover will this eliminate the need for a phosphate reactor so I can spend the cash on a better skimmer?

Which skimmer should I go for, Reeftek or Reef Octopus? Jacques say's the reeftek TS2 is good and I have read that in a couple of places already but which is better? My total system volume is gonna be 350L maybe 400L depending on sump height. If anyone has hands on experience and has actually used both makes it would really help me decide.

Octo is external and reeftek internal, both are basically the same, made by the same company

I thought I would start a new thread for the new tank. I want to start off right. Slow, steady and properly.

The tank is sitting on a cherry-wood cabinet. It is 90X48X48. It has a c2c (if c2c means corner 2 corner?) overflow with all the PVC and joints needed for the plumbing all thanks to JCC(his cube is cool).

Now here is where I need the advice from all the clever people out there.
The cabinet has enough floor space for a sump of 80cm x 45cm max. Which I think for a tank this size is pretty big but what I know is :asshole:.

I would say 50cm is the bst hight as that will give the enviroment as they will have space to flurish, and letting you have space to work with out a problem

Most definitly as this will help with nitrates and will grow pods and worm in a safe enviroment.

First chamber, inlet skimmer reactears ect, Second DSB/fuge(as you would have the cheato in the DSB chamber) then bubble trap and last just the return pump(as have other things could lead to bubbles in the display tank)

I dont know at all, as i would have to make a sketch of the sump

Yes it is, but the skimmer will have a greater impact in the begining as this will the prim export of nutriunts, because of not have a established working bacteria in suffiant eg DSB and LR. The phosphate reacter removes phosphate only, which is good and very important but not needed as bad as the skimmer, how it works is it pushs the water past the media giving maxamium reaction, the water flow is generaly 300-400lh alowin max contact with the water

Get a better skimmer, i personaly thing the TS2 is tosed around to much, it is a good skimmer but not as good as the Deltec which if you save up for it will give you MUCH better results, the Reef Octopus DNW range is also much better
Yes but only the right aragonite such as Seachem and Carib sea as these will give you much better results and a finer tank. Reggies is not an 8th as good

Any other input will be appreciated.

I haven't measured the two outlets but when I do I will be asking how powerful the return pump must be. And what is all this about the overflow being noisy? Is it and if so how do I prevent it?

I know it's a lot to chew through but there is probably someone out there that loves this kinda thing.

Thanx in advance.

Steven:wave2:

Ask Imarine about the two skimmers as he has used both alot.

can i use water from my current tank to help with the cycle as i am now ready to start filling?

Yes Steven you can use that water. You must still wait for the whole cycle process though. Also bear in mind if you had diseases or something in the old tank you'll be carrying them over.

hey steve, as far as jacquesb comment on compartments, having the heaters in the last compartment isnt a good idea, cause when that compartment runs dry in addition to your pump blowing, your heaters will go. so put them in the same compartment as the skimmer or something:) even with an auto-top up you never know, accidents happen

thanks for the advice rory. i haven't got any disease problems in my current tank but i am getting over an algae problem. will i carry the algae prob over? or is it just my bad current setup that creates that problem?

I think some of the phosphates and nitrates which are probably causing the algae, will transfer with the water. If I were you, I'd rather just use new water, water from an established tank does not help the cycle along very much, if at all. It is the bacteria that is present in the LR and substrate that helps with the cycle, the water column does not really contain a lot of bacteria at all (otherwise you would have a cycle every time you do a water change...;)). If you want to save cash by using old water from a water change on the other tank, then that is another story, go for it...:)

will b getting water from two ocean's aquarium. so i will start from new

My progress is moving along slowly.

I have bought a second hand reeftek ts1 from Sooi. I know I am going against what I was told but I recently bought a new car and therefore can't really afford the ts2. The smaller footprint means that I can make the dsb quite a lot bigger though. Will be working out the sump design tonight and then have to wait till next month to get the sump made and buy the aragonite. Hopefully then I can have it up and cycling before christmas.

Will post pics when the setting up starts.

my 2 cents on the hight of the sump, keep skimmer you want to get in mind before you settle on the height.

I have a problem in that my sump walls are quite high. Which means i cant keep the skimmer at the same level as the sump, the skimmer outlet is less then the height of the sump. So i had to literally put my skimmer on top of my sump.

If you plan on putting the sump under you tank keep that in mind.

You can also drill a hole in your sump for the skimmer outlet, but again,you have to get this done when you build your sump.

(hmm, i think i posted this a bit late, my bad hope its working out dude)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom