Steve's AM37 Comeback

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Fishy Steve, 12 Feb 2014.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

So its been years since I have had a tank filled with water. Long story but I am back. I think for good this time.

I have started 2 tanks at once. Mainly for experimentation. To see the results different tank keeping has.

First tank is a 37 liter nano all in one that I picked up on gumtree for a steal. The second is my custom designed 135 litre.

Here are some pics of the 37litre. So much has changed since I was last in this. Got some premium branching rock which i now hear is kind of prohibited/protected.

Water and sand (caribsea oolite I think)
    [​IMG]

Side View (From my bed)
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

I am still trying to figure out what wavemaker to put in the tank and not blow things away. I am currently just dosing seachem stability. Once the corals start coming I think i am going to stick to the seachem and red sea products. I will be getting about 2 - 3 kg More rock for the display, I am going to be really picky with the pieces though because I cant this tank to be a real stunner.

No matter what I do the skimmer on this tank produces major micro bubbles so I have turned it off and will do bigger water changes instead until I figure it out.

I am really keen to try an SPS dominated tank here with maybe just one fish to keep nutrients low. Decisions decisions.

I am following some other threads to see their results and will follow suit.

Good to be back.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Looking good so far! Why don't you try one of the small SEIO pumps and just position it in a direction that doesn't disturb the sand. Try facing it toward the surface.

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

I do like the seio pumps, got one in my other tank. Might try and find a small one to use.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

OMG it's alive...

6. birkettN

birkettN Nathan

7. Fishy Steve

So this is the update +-1 month into this journey.

[​IMG]

Luckily when this guy is open 100% he covers the crappy job I did at sticking him down
    [​IMG]
    @birkettN picked these up from @SeanR I think over this weekend, along with all the Zoas to follow. Hopefully they all open once they are settled
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also from SeanR
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Fishy Steve

The Pocillopora, top rightish, I got from 4age, it had fallen to the back of his tank and wasn't looking too good so I thought I would try and get him to 100% again. I also got the branching monti, top left, from him. as well as the purple gorgonian popping out of the back.

All I can say so far, working in a sub 40L nano with anything bigger than a little girls' hands is tough. Keep knocking things over, I dunno how many times I have had to re-stick the two pieces of SPS down due to my clumsiness.

All the softies and the Hammer will eventually be moved to my 130litre tank as I want this tank to be strictly SPS. I haven't tried a full blown SPS tank before and decided to give this bash. I have a big hang on back filter running my sponge, filter floss and purigen. Will be adding Activated carbon and Phosguard this week.

Awesome being back in this hobby. It is taking up like 80% of my waking thoughts, not at work tho obviously :whistling:

Last edited: 10 Mar 2014
  9. Fishy Steve

OK, so my review on the AM37.

Firstly, it is a really nice looking tank. Overall build quality seems good.

The lighting. The two CF bulbs creates a really nice colour(I don't like too blue so for some it will be a little white I think. Something a few custom blue LED's will sort out) and seems pretty damn bright. 48w on a 37litre ain't bad.

The flow through the "sump" section at the back is not so great. Firstly no overflow. The water just flows though to the first filter compartment to the skimmer, which I will tackle in the next part of the review. Then the flow goes to the 3 removable filter trays. Being removable is a good idea but I have a suspicion they don't fit completely 100% snug and some of the flow sneaks past the path it should be going through the gaps in the trays. These again are below the water surface therefore there is no surface skimming here either. I am looking into getting a higher rated pump to fit in the little return chamber that is rated at maybe 600-800LPH instead of the 400LPH that it apparently comes with. One thing I really do like about the return is the spray bar it comes with, very useful

The skimmer. LOUD NOISES. There is no chance I can run this. Being in my room with this kind of noise is out of the question, and even if it were in another room I couldn't run it because the micro bubbles that leak into the tank is unbearable. I would love to know if there is a replacement skimmer that would fit?

All in all I do like the tank. The good outweigh the bad. I removed all the filter cartridges and have have attached a big hang on back filter so that takes care of the flow in the back chamber which wasn't really necessary but I wanted my purigen, phosguard and carbon getting a nice flow through it. I would have more than likely resorted to the hang on back no matter what.

Cheers
    Steven

10. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Scarlet Hawk

Hi Steve any chance of a FTS ;)

11. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Scarlet Hawk

Steve forget that the picture has just come up lol sorry it looks fantastic mate and well come back not that I know you to say that just being friendly :whistling:

12. Fishy Steve

Thanks man. Wicked to be back. Obsession activated

13. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Scarlet Hawk

:thumbup:

14. SeanR

SeanR

Wow all my corals are looking good glad to have been able to help you out

15. Fishy Steve

Ya thanks man. Nathan and I split up your sales between the two of us. The Zoas are all open now. The hammer is doing really well.

The only problem is the white cotton wool looking kinda fungus on the one rock of zoas that I am trying to figure out what to do with. Other than that very healthy corals. Shot

16. the fish

the fish

wow man. tank looks amazing. i really like the hammer you have there. oh and welcome back even though it is a bit overdue

17. jab

jab

@Fishy Steve
    hi all. I have the same tank as yours? and same problem with the skimmer regarding micro bubles, but only started end last week.
    anyone with suggestions on what to do

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. devesh.r

devesh.r

Tank looking good so far

19. Fishy Steve

No idea man. I took mine out. Using a hang on back filter now with purigen, phosguard and activated carbon. Seems to be working. SPS are growing

20. Fishy Steve

Shot man:thumbup:. I will try and clean the glass tonight and take a nice updated picture

21. nepellew

nepellew

Tag this one looking gud

Recent Posts