Starving Nuisance lagae of light

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by VicZA, 12 Jul 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

So after running a pretty successful tank for about 8 months now, I still get clumps of Nuisance Algae growing. My parameters are all fine so I rekon this is growing from phosphates within the live rock (see pics)

I was considering blacking out the tank for a day or 2 but have some reservations about this and would appreciate some advice please:

1 - What affect would this have on the fish and inverts ?
    2 - What affect would this have on coral, especially sps ?
    3 - What effect would this have on other beneficial algae that the snails and hermits eat ?

Any better ideas of how to get rid of these clumps would be appreciated too. I do try pulling the clumps off, but they eventually start growing back (see pic 3)

Nuisence 01.jpg

Nuisence 02.jpg

Nuisence 03.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Junior

Junior

Tagging

4. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Tagging

5. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0

The fish would be fine. Softies, lps should be fine too. Sps can be a bit finnicky so I wouldnt be too keen on the idea.
    I know you have tested the water etc but perhaps try find the root of the problem? Perhaps slowly starts acid bathing/cooking the rocks one by one. Every 2 weeks or so, take a rock out, acid bath it etc. That should sort out the problem if they are leaching phosphates etc into the water. Eventually they will all have been cleaned.
    Starving the algae of light for 2 days is just putting a plaster on the problem, it will come back.

6. JackSplat

JackSplat

Jip, agree, one or two days are not going to do much against the algae. I had/have the same issue. There are several ways to sort the problem but all takes time.

Clean the rock regularly by blowing them of with a turkey baster,
    add live bacteria to help get rid off the nitrates phosphates.
    I also manually remove the algae with a syphon. I syphon water from the display to the sump through a filter sock.
    Some guys inject the algae with hydrogen peroxide in small quantitites. You can even remove the rock and soak it a bit in diluted peroxide water. I saw a thread here describing the process, cant remember the name though
    If it is Bryopsys you can raise the mag to about 1600 gradually, also works on some other algae.
    Make sure your skimmer is up to the task
    Make sure both nitrates and phosphates in water is as low as possible
    Dont overfeed and get rid of that watery residue in frozen foods before you add it.

All these methods work. Please read up on them before implementing though. There are more but cannot recall them all now

7. Brendan6

Brendan6

8. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Do you know of any of the sponsors that would carry these ?

9. jclaas

jclaas

This worked for my cyano and I may have eradicated the source of the problem within those two weeks of darkness (light was at repair shop) as it did not come back.

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi Nick.. in my opinion starving the tank of light (even keeping it in complete darkness 24h a day) will do very little to the hair algae.. it will not affect your corals a great deal but it would be a waste of time I think if the your rocks are leaking out nutrients... even if the algae dies off in the few days without light it will come back the moment you put your lights back on.. what are your phosphate and nitrate levels exactly?
    I recently bough myself a sea urchin and man this guy operates fast.. probably the best algae eater I've had in my tank... I also habeas a mower blennie but he only eats the very short algae that grows on the glass and nothing longer than few millimeters.

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

he other think is.. unless the algae is disturbing my corals I leave it.. is natural and every marine habitat has some algae.. someone will eat it. from the pictures you posted it looks like the algae you have is very little and it should be quite easy to pull it off the rock except for the o e on the third picture

Recent Posts